Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Repair Versus Sfc

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 drkernel

drkernel

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 AM

Posted 24 May 2007 - 04:46 AM

I know that windows repair rolls back important system files, although it DOES not do so for the registry settings.

After repairing the system beleives it has critical patches, hotfixes ... but in reality it does not.

Can someone give me related information for SFC.EXE?

Regards

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 AM

Posted 24 May 2007 - 08:22 AM

SFC.EXE replaces "protected" system files that don't match the version info that is stored on your system. There's a lot of different places this info may be stored, and there is a logfile that it generates (telling you what's been done). But, essentially what it does is compare the system files with the files in the DLLCACHE folder (there are other locations also, but the DLLCACHE is the "baseline".

More info on SFC.EXE here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/43051/how-to-use-sfcexe-to-repair-system-files/
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 drkernel

drkernel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2007 - 11:00 AM

SFC.EXE replaces "protected" system files that don't match the version info that is stored on your system. There's a lot of different places this info may be stored, and there is a logfile that it generates (telling you what's been done). But, essentially what it does is compare the system files with the files in the DLLCACHE folder (there are other locations also, but the DLLCACHE is the "baseline".

More info on SFC.EXE here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/43051/how-to-use-sfcexe-to-repair-system-files/

Dear usasma,

Please read carefully my post

After repairing (with the repair procedure not the sfc.exe) the system beleives it has critical patches, hotfixes ... but in reality it does not.
This is happening because it replaces ONLY system files and It DOES NOT DO the same with registry entries.
No body want to have a system in such a hybrit state.
Τhis impplies that repair is done (as your last solution) to recover the system, get your data, and MUST do a clean intallation.

What about the SFC.EXE

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 AM

Posted 24 May 2007 - 03:16 PM

SFC.EXE only knows what you feed it - the same as if you were doing a repair install. If you don't have updated files, then SFC.EXE will work with the older files as if they were the most current. If you've received updates to Windows protected files since the original installation, then SFC.EXE "should" detect them - but this isn't the most reliable tool for this - so a visit to Windows Update is encouraged after running SFC.EXE.

The whole SFC.EXE thing is very complicated so an plain yes or no answer isn't possible. If you'd like to have a look at it, just check out the logfile that it generates after it runs. Also, try locating the numerous different places that SFC.EXE looks for stuff at when it's combing the registry.

As for your comment about reading your post carefully, I have 2 points:
1) Please read my forum title directly underneath my avatar - you'll see that I am visually handicapped. For that I apologize.
2) This section of my previous post did answer your question as directly as possible: "SFC.EXE replaces "protected" system files that don't match the version info that is stored on your system."

Please notice that I said "on your system" - that means that it's not up-to-date with Windows Updates and that it only knows what's on your system. Also, anyone who has taken the time to read the instructions for using SFC.EXE that are scattered across the web should have noticed that a visit to Windows Update is strongly encouraged after running SFC.EXE.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 drkernel

drkernel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2007 - 12:38 PM

Thanks you my good friend.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users