Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP - changing my mother board

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jokes123

jokes123

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:14 AM

Posted 17 January 2005 - 10:46 PM

Hi im new here, im about to give up on my computer. It always freezes and its very unstable, opening software like photoshop would be just useless.

My friend in a local computer store told me its not my XP thats defective but my mother board. I have to change it to an ASUS instead of the cheaper brand I got to ensure stability. Any advice on this?
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Jokes123 Tons of jokes and funy pictures you an send to your friends.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,640 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:14 AM

Posted 19 January 2005 - 05:28 PM

What browser are you using? IE or firefox?

#3 QQQQ

QQQQ

• Members
  • 387 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2005 - 10:08 AM

If you intend to change the motherboard without a complete reload of WinXP, you want to change your hard disk controller to standard IDE in device manager BEFORE you change boards. While I would recommend a complete reload as the best option, I have gotten away with my tip above. If you just change the motherboard you will most probably be greeted (LOL) with a blue screen upon bootup saying inaccessable boot device. You will need to install the specific drivers for your motherboard after replacing it. Make sure you have a good backup of all neccessary data before trying anything.

#4 twinsdad

twinsdad

• Members
  • 411 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2005 - 10:44 AM

jokes123: Welcome to BC, a great bunch of helping folks who will get you back on the road again. One part of your original post is of concern:

My friend in a local computer store told me its not my XP thats defective but my mother board. I have to change it to an ASUS instead of the cheaper brand I got to ensure stability. Any advice on this?

Your friend may be knowledgeable and well meaning, but the problems/issues you described (freezing, etc.) may have nothing to do with your motherboard or other hardware. Your problem could be as "simple" as some corrupted files, too much load on your RAM (from too many programs trying to run at the same time) to some nasty malware/viri. Just common sense to fully diagnose the problem before taking the thing apart and rebuilding.

IMHO, first tell the BC forum more about what you have in the way of hardware (brand, model, etc.), spec's (operating system, amount of RAM, etc.) and what you generally use your computer for (surfing, games, graphics, word-processing, etc.) . More info better than less. Let the experts here (and I ain't one of them!) look at what's going on and provide them with whatever additional information they request. It worked for me that way, and my machine was a basket-case, now it's near perfect and it did not cost me anything but time (and I made some new friends here . :thumbsup: ) Good luck.
"Love to eat them mousies, mousies what I like to eat; bite they little heads off, nibble on they tiny feet". B. Kliban

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users