Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Questions About New Xp Install

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Alchemist

• Members
  • 162 posts
  • Local time:11:11 AM

Posted 23 May 2007 - 01:13 PM

Gradually I am getting a new install of Win XP Home settled on my main computer. While things work in general, there are some issues I am working on:

1) Does it do any 'good' to have IE 7 installed -- other than the obvious benefits of (supposedly) better security while browsing? Not using IE at all seems most secure to me. I use Seamonkey. :thumbsup: But since IE is so highly integrated into the main OS I am wondering if it gives some security benefits in other respects.

2) Exactly what is .NET good for? My copy of Win XP Home came with .NET 1.1 and I am guessing it was installed by default (How do you tell what version of .NET is installed?) but I don't know what it means for how I use my computer.

3) Why do my XP video drivers offer fewer display modes than the Win98 drivers for the exact same video card? Weirdest of all, why does it have 1280X1024 (non-standard aspect ratio) but NOT 1280X960 (standard aspect ratio)???

4) I am occasionally seeing animations and tool tips truncated. The 'copy' animation, for example, shows only the little piece of paper flying across the dialog box, but not the folders. Or tool tips on the taskbar show only the top edge, while the actual text doesn't appear. It's as if some positioning code is screwed up.

5) Why is Win98 able to recognize and use an external modem turned on after it boots but XP cannot? I literally had to reboot just to be able to dial out. Deh!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,085 posts

Posted 24 May 2007 - 08:09 AM

1) You'll need IE for Windows Update - IE 7 won't give much of an advantage, although I suspect that it's core components would be secure than those in IE 6.

2) .NET is good for programs, and some programs require it in order to work correctly. In most cases the programs will let you know if they need it - but some may not, so it's (IMO) a good idea to have it installed "just in case".

3) It depends on what video drivers you're using. If you're using the Windows default video drivers, then you'll be severely limited. I'd suggest getting the most updated video drivers for your system. Generally I avoid driver updates like the plague (unless problems occur) - based on the theory of "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." But with video drivers I often update them at the first hint of any sort of problem.

4) Could also be the video drivers (or even the video card). Try updating them.

5) This is most likely an issue with the modem drivers, not with XP. Try updating them also - if it still doesn't work, then check the webite of the modem manufacturer for suggested fixes.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Alchemist

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 162 posts

Posted 25 May 2007 - 11:52 AM

Installing IE 7 is probably just "a good idea" since you never know how MS may have cross-linked things under the hood.

.NET is an iffier proposition. This version of XP home that I purchased came with .NET 1.1 so it's probably there already. Until I know that I need something more, I think I'll leave that alone.

Video mode problem solved. I had forgotten that even monitors need drivers in Windows. Call it 'driver fatigue'... :thumbsup: When I dug out the disk and installed the proper .INF for my monitor, then uninstalled and reinstalled the video card driver, I got back my zillion video modes. We'll see about the other issues as I continue to use the computer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users