Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slow Login To Windows Network

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 SysTech Guy

SysTech Guy

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 AM

Posted 23 May 2007 - 01:07 PM

This situation only applies to exactly one machine and I am befuddled as to why.

I have one Windows XP Pro Desktop that takes at least 5 minutes ( I have sat and waited) to log in to the network with a normal user network account. When I log in with my Network Admin account, login is fine. It is only when normal users login that it takes an exorbitant amount of time to log in.

I have tested other machines with the same accounts and login time is fine....it just seems to be with this machine.

Also, when I log in with a user account, the screen display seems to hang at "Applying your personal settings"

Can anyone enlighten me to this phenomenon?

Moderator Edit: Moved topic to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

Edited by Animal, 07 June 2007 - 04:24 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 PM

Posted 24 May 2007 - 01:07 AM

Are you loging on to Server2003?
MCP
MSDST

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 AM

Posted 24 May 2007 - 08:19 AM

Is the system trying to map any network resources that no longer exist? This was a major slowdown in early networks with XP.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 SysTech Guy

SysTech Guy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2007 - 04:09 PM

Is the system trying to map any network resources that no longer exist? This was a major slowdown in early networks with XP.

I may have found out the source of the problem, but I do not know the why of it all.

When I go into the System Configuration Utility and click on the "General" Tab and then select "Selective Startup" I clear the following:

"Process System.ini file"
"Process WIN.INI File"
"Load Startup Items"

Then I restart and then regular accounts can log in...not just the administrator account.

Am I looking at something in my Startup Items that is bogging down logins for regular users?

#5 twardnw

twardnw

• Members
  • 259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 PM

Posted 08 June 2007 - 12:41 AM

I had a similar problem with 2 computers at a clients site. I can't remember the exact error in the event viewer, but it had similar symptoms. If the user unplugged from the network before attempting to sign-on, forcing the workstation to use cached credentials, it logged on almost immediately. I solved the problem by editing the local Group Policy. Open up gpedit.msc, go to: 'Computer Configuration' -> 'Administrative Templates' -> 'System' -> 'Logon'. There, change 'Always wait for the network at computer startup' to diabled. This only works if they are logging into a Windows 2K3 server.

#6 SysTech Guy

SysTech Guy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2007 - 03:08 PM

I had a similar problem with 2 computers at a clients site. I can't remember the exact error in the event viewer, but it had similar symptoms. If the user unplugged from the network before attempting to sign-on, forcing the workstation to use cached credentials, it logged on almost immediately. I solved the problem by editing the local Group Policy. Open up gpedit.msc, go to: 'Computer Configuration' -> 'Administrative Templates' -> 'System' -> 'Logon'. There, change 'Always wait for the network at computer startup' to diabled. This only works if they are logging into a Windows 2K3 server.

I checked and the 'Always wait for the network at computer startup' is set to 'Not Configured'. I disabled it just to be sure, but I get the same results: All accounts except the network admin account hangs for about 5-10 minutes on login at the 'Applying Computer Settings' window.

#7 twardnw

twardnw

• Members
  • 259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 PM

Posted 08 June 2007 - 07:08 PM

anything in the event viewer? check the workstation and the server, might shed some light on what to look for

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 AM

Posted 09 June 2007 - 09:41 AM

Most commonly this is due to a program looking for a mapped network drive (such as a shared folder on another computer, or a program that is run from a file server).

Use this free utility to check the startups: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysintern...s/Autoruns.mspx
Disable a few at a time and see if it fixes it, then do it again until you locate it or you find it.

Also, review your system.ini and your win.ini for file shares (that's what my wife's office uses for it's file server).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#9 SysTech Guy

SysTech Guy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2007 - 09:06 PM

It turned out to be an AVG Firewall issue. We just recently installed AVG on the client machines with the built in firewall mechanism. When I deactivated this Firewall, normal users could log into the client machine without a lag. Once a user is able to log in when the Firewall is deactivated, after reactivation, the login freeze no longer occurs for that user.

I have to study the Firewall logs as well as the Rules to see what is happening.

Thanks for everyone's input.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users