Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Calling All Css Gurus. Need Some Help Here Because Ipb Refuses To Look

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,504 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:48 AM

Posted 23 May 2007 - 12:31 PM

So we recently installed the new version of IPB and it seems this version uses CSS much more than previous versions. One of the things that we noticed was that in the new profiles, when you increase your text size, certain text starts overlapping each other.

For example look at my profile:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/u/3/grinler/

And then increase your text and watch how the text in the Last Visitors section overlaps each other. I opened up a bug report stating this was happening and it was likely a CSS issue. Of course they were flippant with their response about how they can not account for everyone changing their text sizes.

Now from what I understand, this is not true, and that you can use CSS to accomodate different text sizes so that the text does not overlap? Is this true?

If it is true, can you point me in some direction on how to fix this issue so I can throw it back at them. We have visitors here at BC who have visual handicaps and need to increase the text size. I would like their experience to be as good as those who do not need the larger text.

CSS is definitely not my forte :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 AM

Posted 23 May 2007 - 05:23 PM

CSS is not hard.. if you can handle php, you can handle this. Just a cursory look at the code shows that elements are sized by a percentage, instead of fixed width. I have to go take my kid to a baseball game, but then I'll see if I can whip up a demo.

#3 hillbillygreek

hillbillygreek

• Members
  • 397 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 AM

Posted 23 May 2007 - 10:55 PM

Apologies for the intrusion guys. I tried what Grinler said & noticed (at least on my end) that the overlap occurs in Firefox & not IE7. I'm not professing to know any type of solution, but simply wanted to point this out.

Edited by hillbillygreek, 23 May 2007 - 10:58 PM.

#4 RADIUM-V Interactive

RADIUM-V Interactive

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 AM

Posted 26 May 2007 - 04:35 PM

I'd guess it's the percentages or the pixel sizes, like what groovicus said. I think it's only a problem with Firefox, and looking at my sites I've been working on, i don't think it can be fixed. The differences between Firefox's text enlargement and IE's is that IE zooms everything in as opposed to just making the text bigger.

#5 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Topic Starter

• Admin
  • 43,504 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2007 - 11:11 PM

Hmm..interesting. Didnt know that about IE.

#6 Bobang

Bobang

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:48 AM

Posted 29 May 2007 - 09:08 AM

The "Last Visitors" is a CSS Template and contents text, photos, graphics, etc. - of these templates have properties which can be managed as "styles" and are arranged in layers/stacks on what is called the Z-Axis. On this axis one can determine the hierarchy of the objects. The object placed highest in the hierarchy cannot be eclipsed by an object lower in hierarchy.

The appearance of the Name of visitor which is generated by the PHP code has been allotted a place (without any behavioral attributes on the page), but is not integrated in the template, therefore it behaves independently of the properties of objects in the template. It is more like a floating object.

[Perhaps]! It needs to be incorporated in the template, set lower in the hierarchy, and needs to have some wrapping properties akin to the template it is embedded in. Please note the grey text below the name wraps and starts in the next line and does not overlap the avatar as it reaches the margin of the avatar in the template. Right now the visitor's name behaves as a renegade text object belonging to the main table and accepts only padding (distance from the margin in this case on the right).

I am sure their CSS guys can find the correct way to fix it.

Internet Explorer on the other hand resolves this by other means, but has its own share of troubles too.

I am no expert, but just a novice picking pebbles on the shore...

Bobang

Edited by Bobang, 29 May 2007 - 09:10 AM.

Bobang

in all things be men

#7 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Topic Starter

• Admin
  • 43,504 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2007 - 12:04 PM

Thanks for looking at it Bobang.