Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Chubby Puppy - Adding Screen Resolution?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 tekchallenged

tekchallenged

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 PM

Posted 23 May 2007 - 11:58 AM

I am trying to have a go at Linux :thumbsup: . I downloaded Chubby Puppy and have got it loaded and can get on the internet. BUT the offered screen resolution makes the display too big for the screen and there isn't an option on the list which is the same as the one I have on windows (the nearest equiv behaves very strangely and isn't "right"). I googled an answer to someone about adding screen resolution options, but the file mentioned there I can't find (I don't know if the puppy I have is the same one, being chubby and all). Anybody got any ideas as to how to change this or what to do? (Sorry if this is vague, I am really tired and about to finally give up completely, when I thought somebody here might have some clues.) Thanks.
Feel free to assume that I won't know what you are talking about...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Monster_user

Monster_user

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 AM

Posted 24 May 2007 - 02:17 AM

Well, I mainly use Debian based distributions, and its resolution setting file is 'xorg.conf', and it is located in the '/etc/X11' folder.

Note the capital X in X11.

I'm a bit tired myself. I'll see if I can find some more info tomorrow. I just don't feel like learning a whole new distro tonight.

It would help to know the make and model of your screen, or laptop, as the case may be. As well as the make, and model of your video/graphics card.

Edited by Monster_user, 24 May 2007 - 02:23 AM.

The Answers are out there, you've just got to know how to find them.

#3 tekchallenged

tekchallenged
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2007 - 05:05 AM

Well, I mainly use Debian based distributions, and its resolution setting file is 'xorg.conf', and it is located in the '/etc/X11' folder.

yes, the one I was looking for was "/etc/X11/xorg.conf". I managed to come across an "etc" folder - {I'm not sure how, it just appeared (no, I'm not joking)], but xorg.conf wasn't there (I looked through the lot), but I suspect I have to find it somewhere else, and I haven't got a clue how (until I get this screen working properly I have to keep coming out and returning to Windows, which makes it hard to look things up.)

It would help to know the make and model of your screen, or laptop, as the case may be. As well as the make, and model of your video/graphics card.

My screen is a HP 7550. I don't have a graphics card, just integrated graphics Intel 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller. (I read somewhere else that allocating more memory to graphics might fix it but I don't understand how it could have enough to work properly in Windows, but not in Puppy.... :thumbsup: )

Thanks.

#4 Monster_user

Monster_user

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2007 - 04:15 PM

Try this.

Type 'whereis xorg.conf' in a console terminal. That should be able to tell you exactly where it is.

Unless Chubby is an older distribution, and is still using XFree86. What version of Chubby Puppy are you using?

I don't see why Chubby would be having problems with an i845G integrated graphics card. It is something to start with.

Edited by Monster_user, 24 May 2007 - 04:18 PM.

#5 tekchallenged

tekchallenged
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2007 - 06:46 PM

Try this.

Type 'whereis xorg.conf' in a console terminal. That should be able to tell you exactly where it is.

Unless Chubby is an older distribution, and is still using XFree86. What version of Chubby Puppy are you using?

I don't see why Chubby would be having problems with an i845G integrated graphics card. It is something to start with.

I'll crank it up later and let you know how I go. Thanks very much.

#6 tekchallenged

tekchallenged
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2007 - 07:54 AM

I had a thought - could it be that I can't change settings because it is running from a cd? If not, I've had a crack at what you suggested and here's what happened

It said that whereis was an unknown command (or words to that effect)

It says it is Puppy 1.0.5.

#7 Monster_user

Monster_user

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2007 - 12:22 PM

The latest version of Puppy is 2.16, so your version is very out of date.
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/Puppy216

I can't find any info. Is Puppy on a multi-session CD-R, or is it a CD-RW? If Puppy is on a finalized CD-R then you may not be able to change the resolution settings.

I did find some things hinting at Xorg not being included, and another VESA system being used. Doesn't make any sense to me.

#8 tekchallenged

tekchallenged
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2007 - 09:08 PM

The latest version of Puppy is 2.16, so your version is very out of date.

What happened when I downloaded it was that the first few download site links (on Barry Kauler's (sp?) site) didn't work, so I just kept trying until I found the first one that worked. I wasn't bothered about the version, I assumed all would work ok.

I can't find any info. Is Puppy on a multi-session CD-R, or is it a CD-RW? If Puppy is on a finalized CD-R then you may not be able to change the resolution settings.

No, it's not multi-session, it is just live with no storage (although I've got a new flash drive and it said I could use that so I stuck it in, but I didn't save anything, so I don't know if that worked - it seemed to generate a lot of "fail" messages). And it's on a CD-RW disk. And it lets me put my mouse type in, so it must "listen" to some things.

I did find some things hinting at Xorg not being included, and another VESA system being used. Doesn't make any sense to me.

And even less to me, because I don't even know what those things mean :thumbsup:

I think I'll put my puppy in the kennels for a while. I downloaded Freespire which came up with a very strange licence agreement screen, so I've downloaded Ubuntu and I'll see if I can get that cranked up. When I feel in the mood, I'll have another scout around and see if I can find a working link to download the newest Puppy and see if that works.

Thanks for your help.

#9 tekchallenged

tekchallenged
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2007 - 12:39 AM

Update:

I've managed to download Puppy 215CE and it works perfectly. WOOHOO :thumbsup: It gave a little info in the startup when asking to choose XVESA or XORG that prior to 1.0.6 (I think it said), it only had XVESA, not XORG....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users