Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How To Change Heatsink

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 figgis41

figgis41

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:35 AM

Posted 23 May 2007 - 10:59 AM

Hi all, im changeing my heatsink for a new one,, i have a socket 775 on a Pentium 4 HT 3.4 Ghz, i have found one thats compatable and works prity good by all acounts, an AKASA AK-961. The old one has 4 screw clips at each corner that you turn 90 degreas and it unclips from the holder, then you replace it with the new one that has the same clips,,, i know that you have to clean the old thermal paste of and apply new paste to the new one,, but are there any site's with instructions where i could check this,,, and any info on the Akasa Heatsink would be good to,,, thank you all ,,,Fig
Figgis,,,, LUFC

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 evilmonkeyz

evilmonkeyz

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2007 - 07:53 PM

Good guide here.

It is fairly easy to do as long as you're careful and you take your time. That guide recommends removing the motherboard, last time I swapped my heatsink, I didn't have to take the motherboard out.

These videos are good, although they are for AMD processors, the general idea it the same, the 'Heat sink removal' video is the best. The clips that hold your heatsink in place will be different, but after the clips have been removed, the video goes on the demonstrate what I found the trickiest part of removing the heatsink, separating it from the processor, it's done by gentle twisting motions.

Edited by evilmonkeyz, 23 May 2007 - 07:59 PM.

If life gives you lemons you should make lemonade, then find a buddy that life gave him vodka and throw a party!!

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 AM

Posted 23 May 2007 - 08:02 PM

Clean the old compound off with rubbing alcohol. use a SMALL amount of new compound and spread a thin coat evenly on the chip. The plastic clip the holds a loaf of bread closed will work nicely. Be sure the mobo is well supported so pressing on it won't damage anything
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 figgis41

figgis41
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2007 - 09:03 AM

Thanks for your help guys, very usefull and i'll give it a go,, the bit about the bread clips went over my head though we dont use em in England,,,,lol,, thanks again,,, Fig
Figgis,,,, LUFC

#5 figgis41

figgis41
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2007 - 09:04 AM

Thanks for your help guys, very usefull and i'll give it a go,, the bit about the bread clips went over my head though we dont use em in England,,,,lol,, thanks again,,, Fig
Oups im seeing double,, time to log off,,lol

Edited by figgis41, 24 May 2007 - 09:09 AM.

Figgis,,,, LUFC

#6 mommabear

mommabear

• Members
  • 492 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2007 - 07:17 AM

I wish I'd had those videos a few months ago when I changed my heat sink. I had a real hard time getting the clips to release. I had to walk away a couple of times because I was getting so frustrated, but I did it.

figgis41, if this 60+ grandmother can do it, so can you.

#7 Venek

Venek

• Members
  • 293 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2007 - 08:42 AM

A note of caution! I tried to upgrade an old computer of mine from a 2.4 to a 3.4, except the 2.4 had been sitting in there for so long it was practically fused to the heatsink. So, what happened when I tried to take it out? I ripped out the CPU out of its socket with the heatsink, thus ruining my motherboard but happily built a new kickass rig as a result. Moral of the story? Loosen up the heatsink if you can with a hair dryer or something.
UberGeeks of the world...UNITE!

Uh guys? Wanna take your eyes off that screen for a second? Raise the mice? Battle cry?

#8 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2007 - 10:14 AM

A note of caution! I tried to upgrade an old computer of mine from a 2.4 to a 3.4, except the 2.4 had been sitting in there for so long it was practically fused to the heatsink. So, what happened when I tried to take it out? I ripped out the CPU out of its socket with the heatsink, thus ruining my motherboard but happily built a new kickass rig as a result. Moral of the story? Loosen up the heatsink if you can with a hair dryer or something.

That's why I don't like those OEM sticky pads some mfg's use. You have to pay attention even when you buy name-brad stuff. Besides their regular compound, Arctic Silver sells a themal adhesive, which will definatly not come off
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users