Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Volume Display Bar Missing

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 bentheimmigrant

bentheimmigrant

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:09 PM

Posted 23 May 2007 - 10:36 AM

I am running Windows XP Pro SP2 on a Dell Inspiron 9100, which has volume controls above the keyboard... It used to be that when I changed the volume with these controls, a small box appeared above the taskbar and a solid blue bar would show the volume level... I bought a logitech USB headset, which has its own controls...
Here's the tricky part...
If I turn the laptop on before unplugging the headset, the volume popup will be blank... Also when I plug in the headset, the blue bar is stuck where it was before I plugged them in (windows won't switch to the headset if a player is already playing, but the volume bar still gets stuck)... When I use the headset controls (after windows has switched to the headset) the blue bar is stuck. If I keep the headset plugged in from before I turned the computer on, then the bar is missing again. The popup still appears, but no bar in the middle.
In case you care, I use SPDIF when I'm not using the headset.

Please understand, this is a display problem, not a sound problem.

If any of you know how to keep the bar from vanishing or if it can also be used with my headset I would appreciate it... And before anyone asks, yes I do want to keep the display.

Cheers

Edited by bentheimmigrant, 23 May 2007 - 10:42 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Baloo

Baloo

• Members
  • 243 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:09 PM

Posted 23 May 2007 - 12:10 PM

Have you gone to the Logitech web site to see if there is an update for the headset software? Dell may also have an update to it's sound software as well, check those out.
When life hands you lemons squeeze the lemon juice right in his eye!

#3 bentheimmigrant

bentheimmigrant
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2007 - 12:50 PM

Have you gone to the Logitech web site to see if there is an update for the headset software? Dell may also have an update to it's sound software as well, check those out.

Logitech says they use drivers already on windows... I downloaded the updated audio driver for my laptop (it was one of the few drivers that had been updated) but there is no change...

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2007 - 06:57 AM

I'm thinking this is a proprietary piece of Dell software that it does not play well with other devices (I'm presuming that it works OK when the headset isn't plugged in). I'd check for conflicts in Device Manager (unlikely IMO) and errors in the Event Viewer to help to narrow it down.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 bentheimmigrant

bentheimmigrant
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2007 - 08:26 AM

I'm thinking this is a proprietary piece of Dell software that it does not play well with other devices (I'm presuming that it works OK when the headset isn't plugged in). I'd check for conflicts in Device Manager (unlikely IMO) and errors in the Event Viewer to help to narrow it down.

No sign of anything in either I'm afraid... Device manager was fine, and there was nothing remotely related to it in the event viewer. Right now, I just unplugged the headphones, which had been plugged in last time I used the computer... before I unplugged them I used the keyboard volume controls to check, and the blue bar was there and working. I unplugged them and the blue bar was frozen where it last was. I plugged the headset back in and it's still frozen.

So I'm stuck (I'm not even sure how to turn the stupid thing off)

Thanks

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2007 - 09:42 AM

Ahhhh, the joy of owning a Dell :thumbsup: (Just kidding, it's the same with any proprietary piece of software)
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 bentheimmigrant

bentheimmigrant
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2007 - 01:08 PM

Ahhhh, the joy of owning a Dell :thumbsup: (Just kidding, it's the same with any proprietary piece of software)

I really like the feature (since I use external speakers I like to keep my laptop volume at a certain level)... Any ideas if there a similar thing I could download and replace it? And if so, how could I stop it? I can't find an option so far... and I can't think of many other places to look...

Other than that the computer is amazing... there's not much it won't do.

#8 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2007 - 03:06 PM

Sorry, but I don't bother with sound. Haven't even had the speakers plugged in on my latest system for the last couple of months. I'd just disable it and stick with the Windows/Logitech stuff.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users