Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Posters' communication skills very lacking!

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 plonkeroo

plonkeroo

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:05 AM

Posted 17 January 2005 - 08:34 PM

Some posted messages border on total illiteracy or is it just sheer lazyness? Surely nobody is really that stupid? e.g. im for I'm, u or ya for you, plz for please, and much worse ... Some of the messages are actually impossible to read or understand. I suspect that some of these guys are quite capable of expressing themselves properly but they deliberately communicate in that obscure way. (Makes them feel macho perhaps?)

Edited by plonkeroo, 17 January 2005 - 08:37 PM.

PLONKEROO
Just my twopenn'orth!
http://www.celtish.net/
Internet Abuse
http://www.celtish.net/webscape/abuse.html

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TexasAngel67

TexasAngel67

Bleeping Helper

• Members
  • 1,551 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:05 PM

Posted 17 January 2005 - 08:43 PM

Well, there will always be some people who are smarter than others. "Ya" is a legitimate word in the dictionary used in place of "you" but not "yes". "Yeah" is for "yes". Many people have words they can't spell correctly but that doesn't make them stupid. I've seen much worse than what you've listed in my years online. I think just about everyone I talk to online uses 'computer jargon' in place of 'real world words'. More often than not, the point gets across to the receiving individual(s). Incidentally, the word is spelled 'laziness'.

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:05 PM

Posted 18 January 2005 - 12:33 AM

One hears all the time that employers are concerned about improving the communication skills of their employees. And many posters here, accustomed to the jargon of IM, or the write as you think and speak school of thought, post something akin to gibberish requiring the reader to rewrite what they say into something that has meaning.
A kind person will try to make sense of what is posted, or at least ask appropriate questions for clarification. and perhaps teach and coach along the way.....
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:05 PM

Posted 18 January 2005 - 04:43 AM

A kind person will try to make sense of what is posted, or at least ask appropriate questions for clarification. and perhaps teach and coach along the way.....

I agree,
I first thought I'd try exceedingly hard to use proper english,
in response to the very point you make, plonkeroo.
I told myself,
"hey, these posts are from people all over the world, and they should be given an opportunity to read what might be thought of as good english".

Then I found I wasn't expressing myself the way I normally would.

So I used vernacular.

Then I seemed to notice that attention span was a factor, too.
I wrote too complicated of thoughts.
They didn't fit the quick scroll/scan mode of board use, it seemed.

I could understand 93% of what I read.
I think 34% of what I wrote was understood.

So, I adapted.

Ideally it seems 7 words per sentence is max.
Shorter is better.
Yes?

The help I'll give along the way?

I'll keep posting.
long or short...
IF I have something I think might help
being said.

and the EDIT BUTTON is my friend. :thumbsup:

Edited by phawgg, 18 January 2005 - 04:46 AM.

patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

#5 Notorious

Notorious

• Members
  • 345 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2005 - 07:21 AM

In all my years on internet, I met people who's native language is English but couldn't spell to save their life.. :thumbsup: What irritates me most is they can't (don't even try) to spell right and on top of it use numbers to substitude for words..
"hi mate good 2 see u.. if it vasent 4 u id be in big.. I been trying to contact u 4 4 days.. ur photoes r rel inspiration 4 me lukking 4ward 2 see some more.."
There was a guy on my old forum that even made a poem for me and a girl I was with at the time using numbers instead of words..
Man that was funny.. Pitty I lost it somewhere... :flowers:
Posted Image

Down in the bayou, Bubba called an attorney and asked, "Is it true they're suin' the cigarette companies for causing people to get cancer?
"Sure is Bubba. But why you asking?"
"Cause what I want to know is, I was thinking, can I sue Budweiser for all them ugly women I've slept with?"

#6 nmdamgud

nmdamgud

• Members
  • 357 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2005 - 09:12 AM

i find that the majority of people that type like that are rather young...say, under 25ish...and, yes, i've asked. or they, like myself, are rather computer illiterate...and, trying to use proper "netiquette", think they're using "netspeak".

my understanding is that "netspeak" does have certain shortcuts...lol, rofl, lmao, ty, btw, etc...and that these were originally derived back when internet service was charged by the hour. however, now that it is so widely available as "unlimited" service, the need for such "netspeak" is no longer a necessity, but some abbreviations have just stuck, such as the ones i listed above.

what really irritates me, however, is the atrocious spelling we see...and it's not bad enough that there are so many ignorant people out there....they have to prove
just how ignorant they are, by not employing their spellcheckers, which are not only supplied in every browser i've used...but also on most forums, bulletin boards, message centers, and even a few chat rooms. i can understand not wanting to take the time in a chat room...but, here? in a forum? there is just absolutely NO excuse for laziness.

however, having only today read an article that 34% of ALL florida's teachers can't even pass their own tests they give their students! either other states haven't tested their teachers...or they're smart enough not to make the results public...but at least now i have an idea of why so many kids can't spell.

i'm a stickler for grammer and spelling..so still correct even my 25 year old! but she and i like to make spelling games for her daughter...and she admits she's learning, too. it seems that education...more than just MORAL education...is up to parents, nowadays. and if most of them do as good a job as they have with their kids' moral education....we're lost.

#7 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2005 - 10:56 AM

About all one can do, really, is to attempt to teach by example, and to use either formal or standard English on the BC boards, to ask for clarifications with courtesy, and to reply as clearly and distinctly as possible so that the original poster receives the information needed.
Regards,
John

#8 TexasAngel67

TexasAngel67

Bleeping Helper

• Members
  • 1,551 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:05 PM

Posted 18 January 2005 - 11:08 AM

And when corrections and proper usage, words, and spelling
mistakes are pointed out to the person, they can easily use the EDIT
button as you have.
I do not deny that some people have some clear trouble
with basic English skills but I will not belittle them or poke fun
at their errors. As some have learned over the years, it isn't
safe to throw stones FROM a glass house. But we do have the
edit button.

Edited by TexasAngel67, 18 January 2005 - 11:09 AM.

#9 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:05 PM

Posted 18 January 2005 - 02:39 PM

We have members here from all over the world.
Some speak proper English, some don't.

Even with our U.S. members,
Some speak proper English, sad to say, some don't.

As long as they are able to get their point across, I don't see a problem.

But the effort would be nice.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#10 plonkeroo

plonkeroo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:05 AM

Posted 19 January 2005 - 11:35 AM

... I do not deny that some people have some clear trouble
with basic English skills but I will not belittle them or poke fun
at their errors ...

And nor do I. And I also appreciate that English spelling differs around the world and that people have different writing styles. What I am on about is laziness in communicating.

I am Welsh (indigenous British) and I was brought up in Welsh but found no difficulty in learning English from an early age and later on other European languages but I realise that language will always be a difficulty for some. I have always been hopeless with Maths but others have no difficulty with it. Horses for courses, one might say. All we can do is make the best of whatever talents we have and not devalue ourselves by sheer laziness.

(U.S. correspondents ... read realize for realise and Math for Maths ... see what I mean!)

As I suggested above, style is also a key factor in communicating. We convey meaning so much better if we take just a little time to work out what we want to say before putting pen to paper.

So let's do our best, folks!
PLONKEROO
Just my twopenn'orth!
http://www.celtish.net/
Internet Abuse
http://www.celtish.net/webscape/abuse.html

#11 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2005 - 11:48 AM

plonkeroo - (U.S. correspondents ... read realize for realise and Math for Maths ... see what I mean!)

At first glance these seemed like complete misspellings. So how are we to know how members from other countries spell? Do you see what I mean?

plonkeroo - e.g. im for I'm, u or ya for you, plz for please, and much worse ... Some of the messages are actually impossible to read or understand. ......Makes them feel macho perhaps?)

These terms are computer slang. Commonly used. As a matter of fact. You will find that at the top left hand corner of B.C.'s pages:

Did you know?
Which sometimes point out Computer Slang Example:

Did you know?
Computer Slang: plz - Short for "Please".

This is after all a computing based website. Not middle school spelling class. When in Rome........:flowers:

Lol And I sincerly hope that when I use these terms I am not attempting to feel macho. As I am a girl. :thumbsup:

Edited by scarlett, 20 January 2005 - 12:16 PM.

Posted Image

#12 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:05 PM

Posted 20 January 2005 - 02:58 PM

As I suggested above, style is also a key factor in communicating. We convey meaning so much better if we take just a little time to work out what we want to say before putting pen to paper.

Yes, I agree, plonkeroo. Computer slang is often used, but more so in chat rooms than on the boards where one is given the time needed to accurately convey the meaning to questions/answers that sometimes require a bit more than simple slang.
Easy answers are always hoped for ... less often found when windows XP, or any other versions for that matter, are involved in the question from what I've noticed.
patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

#13 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2005 - 11:42 PM

Help for improving writing and usage skills is available, like almost anything, on the Web:

http://www.bartleby.com/people/Strunk-W.html
The Elements of Style

http://www.bartleby.com/116/
Fowler's the King's English (Bristish usage, but useful for all)

http://www.bartleby.com/64/
the American Heritage book of American Usage

http://www.bartleby.com/68/
Columbia guide to American usage

Regards,
John

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users