Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Very Slow To Start Up...

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Thunder782

Thunder782

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:20 AM

Posted 23 May 2007 - 03:28 AM

Okay so I start up my computer this morning and lo and behold it takes forever to load. My C drive has gone from 2.14 gigs free to 774 MB (this is after I unload the temp, cookies, and internet cache). Then I notice that without even having plugged into the net I have not one, but 2 iexplore.exe files running. funny I don't use IE at all, only a relatively clean install of firefox 2.0. ran my spyware, adware and anti virus programs and still have come up with bubkis. need some help here.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:20 PM

Posted 23 May 2007 - 04:11 AM

This can be a symptom of the RBOT-EZ WORM.

See this link for more information.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 Thunder782

Thunder782
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:20 AM

Posted 23 May 2007 - 05:31 AM

This can be a symptom of the RBOT-EZ WORM.

See this link for more information.

Oh wonderful a worm. okay I read through the help file but I am EXTREMELY leery about messing with my registry or generally anything on my C drive. I still want to hold onto this old timex though so getting a new comp is not completely out of the question.

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:20 PM

Posted 23 May 2007 - 05:42 AM

I would post a HijackThis log in the HijackThis forum (not this one) and let the experts sort it out. It may take a while until they get around to you as those guys are always very busy.

Preparation Guide for use before posting a HijackThis Log
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,597 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:20 AM

Posted 23 May 2007 - 09:07 AM

If you do a Google search you will find numerous complaints of multiple instances of iexplore.exe running in Task Manager. This could problem could be malware or non-malware related. For example, there are worms like W32/Lovgate-AD that will cause the same problem you are experiencing. In addition to other files it drops iexplore.exe in C:\Windows\system32. The legit iexplore.exe is located in the C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer folder.

For others the problem was related to the Yahoo toolbar and uninstalling it was the correct solution. Prior to doing this all anti-virus and anti-malware scans found nothing suspicious.

Another possible cause has been traced to instant email notification settings at various board forums. A new instance of iexplore.exe was created each time the user opened an email, clicked a link and visted a forum. They were also using Spyware Doctor and the problem only occurred if that program was actively running in the background. When Spyware Doctor was disabled, the problem did not occur.

Determining whether a file is malware or a legitimate process depends on the location (path) it is running from. You can download and use Process Explorer or Glarysoft Process Manager to investigate all running processes and gather additional information to identify and resolve problems. These tools will show the process CPU usage, a description and its path location.

The Process Explorer window shows two panes by default: the upper pane is always a process list and the bottom either shows the list of DLLs loaded into the process selected in the upper pane, or the list of operating system resource handles (files, Registry keys, synchronization objects) the process has open. In the menu at the top select View > Lower Pane View to change between DLLs and Handles.

If the file has a legit name but is not located where it is supposed to be, then submit it to jotti's virusscan or virustotal.com. In the "File to upload & scan" box, browse to the location of the suspicious file and submit (upload) it for scanning/analysis.

If your computer seems to be slow, read Slow Computer/Browser? Check here first; it may not be malware. There are reasons for slowness besides malware - i.e. disk fragmentation, disk errors, corrupt system files, too many startup programs, unnecessary services running, not enough RAM, dirty hardware components, etc. As your system gets older it becomes filled with more files/programs and has a natural tendency to slow down so cleaning and regular maintenance is essential.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users