Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Takes Forever To Run Programs

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 typhoone

typhoone

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 AM

Posted 23 May 2007 - 12:38 AM

basically exactly what the title says. i posted a hijackthis log in the other forum, they told me it was clean and to post in here. there is no reason that it should take this long to get up and running. On my startup i have anydvd, zonealarm, peerguardian 2, googletoolbar, and quicktime codec pack. when i typed in msconfig in the run option, it took 2 minutes for the system configuration utility to finally come up....but there is nothing that should be slowing it down so much. please help.

-Typhoone

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:39 PM

Posted 23 May 2007 - 12:48 AM

Open task manager and see what is taking up the most CPU and RAM. Post the results back here.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 typhoone

typhoone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2007 - 01:26 AM

lets see, vsmon.exe is using 26,316 k, behind that iexplore.exe is using 19,252, behind that is explorer.exe with 14,660, searchfinder.exe is using 7,760k then going down and down. it took 3 mins just for that to pop up.

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:39 PM

Posted 23 May 2007 - 01:39 AM

What's eating up the most CPU?

I think what you need to do is have a good look through all the programs and services that are set to run at system boot and disable anything that is not necessary.

Autoruns will allow you to see what is loading at boot.

Check out BlackViper's service configuration recommendations.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 typhoone

typhoone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2007 - 01:52 AM

this is what is set to run at logon

HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Terminal Server\Wds\rdpwd\StartupPrograms
+ rdpclip RDP Clip Monitor Microsoft Corporation c:\windows\system32\rdpclip.exe
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\Userinit
+ C:\WINDOWS\system32\userinit.exe Userinit Logon Application Microsoft Corporation c:\windows\system32\userinit.exe
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\Shell
+ explorer.exe Windows Explorer Microsoft Corporation c:\windows\explorer.exe
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
+ LXBUCATS Timer DLL c:\windows\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3\lxbutime.dll
+ QuickTime Task QuickTime Task Apple Computer, Inc. c:\program files\k-lite codec pack\quicktime\qttask.exe
+ Zone Labs Client Zone Labs Client Zone Labs, LLC c:\program files\zone labs\zonealarm\zlclient.exe
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx
+ Title File not found: UnHackMe
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
+ AnyDVD AnyDVD Application SlySoft, Inc. c:\program files\slysoft\anydvd\anydvd.exe
+ PeerGuardian PeerGuardian 2 Methlabs c:\program files\peerguardian2\pg2.exe
+ swg GoogleToolbarNotifier Google Inc. c:\program files\google\googletoolbarnotifier\1.2.1128.5462\googletoolbarnotifier.exe

the reason i am having a problem with all this is the fact that this is the same setup i have had for ages now, nothing new added to it, but in the last week everything has slowed down drastically. it takes a full minute to open a Zip file, even longer to unzip it to a location.....it is really annoying.

Edited by typhoone, 23 May 2007 - 02:05 AM.

#6 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:39 AM

Posted 23 May 2007 - 02:33 AM

I just went and looked at your hijack this log as a reference to some of your startups, there are several things that I think can speed you up I would remove google programs. Are you going to use Roxio or Alcohol software for your cd/dvd burning? as a test you can download comodo firewall and replace the Zone Alarm, as it has been known to slow down some machines. Searchfinder is loaded by google desktop search, that can be removed also. post any other questions that you have.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users