Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I Was Foolish And I Opened An .exe File That I Shouldn't Have...

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 lucyjee

lucyjee

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:31 AM

Posted 22 May 2007 - 09:55 PM

I am a novice when it comes to stuff like this, i have asked my techy friend what to do and he told me how foolish i was to open an .exe file without checking how trustworthy it was.

I downloaded an winace.exe file which did not setup the software

My computer was fine for a few days then my desktop settings went screwy, i turned off my computer and when i rebooted i couldn't get past my virus software (mcaffee) log in page. The rest of the desktop looked normal but i couldn't click on anything

I opened in safe mode and ran a virus scan but mcaffee didn't pick up anything. I deleted the bad .exe file. I got all of "my document" files off the computer on to my laptop which is fine.

I restarted my computer today and it booted up not in safe mode and now it seems to be working fine, however i am worried that there is still something lurking in my system, registry etc somewhere and i want to make sure that there is nothing left which will stuff up my computer further down the track.

What would you recommend?

p.s. using Windows XP Professional

Edited by lucyjee, 22 May 2007 - 10:02 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,320 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:31 PM

Posted 22 May 2007 - 10:02 PM

Install Super Antispyware. Run it in safe mode. Allow it to quarantine whatever it finds.
http://www.superantispyware.com/

Post a Hijack This log in the Hijack This Forum by following the directions in the link below. DO NOT post the log in this forum.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 Commander Gman

Commander Gman

• Members
  • 1,214 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 AM

Posted 22 May 2007 - 11:43 PM

I see you are trying to download WinAce
A program that extracts files supporting several extensions

WinAce is secure and malware free program
The reason why you got infected in the first place is that the location you downloaded WinAce
Must be from a different site,A site that was loaded with malware
If you go to the official legitimate site of WinAce,you will see a warning somewhere in the site
to notify you that there are other locations that are unsafe to download WinAce

To prevent from going to the wrong site,use a site advisor like McAfee
If you use firefox there is a plug-in here
If you don't use firefox,download the program here

Motherboard: MSI P35 Neo-F (Socket 775 LGA) Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.40 Ghz Kentsfield Chipset: Intel P35 Graphics Card: Nvidia Geforce GT 440 Memory: 2x 2GB DDR2 800 RAM Storage: 1x IDE 80GB, 1x SATA II 500 GB, 1x External 500GB HD Power Supply: 600W Power supply Monitor: Dual screen set-up Casing: Mini-ATX Fan(s): 1x 80mm silent fan OS: Windows XP SP3

#4 lucyjee

lucyjee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2007 - 09:11 PM

Hey guys,

Thanks for all your help.

I used the anti-spyware software in safe mode and it found 3 things.

I haven't gotten round to posting the hijack thing yet but i will do that now.

Cheers,

Lucy

#5 lucyjee

lucyjee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2007 - 11:06 PM

Hijack this logfile at:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/94844/opened-a-bad-exe-file/

#6 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:31 PM

Posted 05 June 2007 - 09:19 AM

Please refrain, now that you have posted a log, from making any changes to you computer that might invalidate the data contained in it. Until the process is completed, this thread should be treated as closed.
Thanks,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users