Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trying To Set Up Dial Up On Xp Laptop

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 zippys

zippys

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 AM

Posted 22 May 2007 - 07:34 PM

My laptop with xp and sp2 will not let me setup dialup.
I travel and sometimes have to use dialup. My internal modem is shown as ok in system settings. I have tested it using the diagnostics and it sends back data.

I go to network connections, create a new connection, next, connect to the internet, setup my connection manually, THe next page where there are 3 selections, first of which is 0 Connect using a Dial Up Modem and the button is grayed out. The last one, Connect using a broadband connection that is always on. Is selected.

How do I ungrey out the 0 Connect using a Dial Up Modem ?

Verified that my laptop sees the modem and it is working correctly.
Tried to windows apps add. Networks.. Everything supposed is there.
Uninstalled all Java updates and used latest jre-6u1-windows-i586-p
I have tried all of the suggested virus checks and pop up s shown in the sticky.
I tried posting this earlier but got no responses except to do the virus checks and trojan checks.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thank You

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,994 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 AM

Posted 22 May 2007 - 08:14 PM

What kind of modem do you have?

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#3 zippys

zippys
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 AM

Posted 22 May 2007 - 09:46 PM

Orange Blossom,

It is a Connexant 56k soft data fax modem.
And.... I also use a Verizon LG cell phone as a modem.

The cell phone works fine on my wife's laptop and the dial up sets up normal. The cell phone connects and we use it all
the time for e-mail on her laptop, but mine, will not let me set up any type of dial up. As I said before, it is greyed out and
the last option , I think DSL, is selected and I can't change it.

Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users