Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

error message how do u fix it

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 raegstar

raegstar

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 PM

Posted 17 January 2005 - 07:51 PM

im tring to install windows 95 on an old computer the boot sequence is set top CD-ROM,C,A when i put the windows 95 cd in it an error comes up saying
BOOT FROM ATAPI CD-ROM FAILURE

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2005 - 10:49 PM

You can't boot from a Win95 CD. You need a boot disk. You can get one from bootdisk.com. Get the Windows 95 original. The file you download is an .exe. Run that with a floppy in the floppy drive and it will make your boot disk. On the computer you are putting 95 on, put the floppy in the drive and turn it on. Stop in the bios and set it to boot from the A drive. When its finished booting at A:\> type the following:

R: <press enter>

setup <press enter>

That will start Win95 setup. This boot disk makes your CD drive R: and calls it Banana. This guy who writes these disks has a wierd sense of humor or something. :thumbsup:

Edited by Leurgy, 17 January 2005 - 11:03 PM.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#3 raegstar

raegstar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2005 - 12:24 AM

wheni get to the bit and u type "R:" i type it and press enter and that works then i goto type setup and it says

"A:\>CDR101: Not ready reading drive R
Abort, Retry, Fail?"

all of it together looks like this

"A:\>R:

R:\>setup

R:\>CDR101: Not ready reading drive R
Abort, Retry, Fail?

plz help me :thumbsup:

#4 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2005 - 08:27 AM

Is the CD clean? Can you put it in another computer and look at the files using windows explorer? If you can then the CD is ok. That would mean there is something wrong with the CD drive on the W95. If you boot the 95 one with the boot disk put in a CD that you know is good and at R:\> type dir so that would be

R:\>dir <enter>

if the drive works you will see a list of files that are on the good CD.

I find that when it says:

R:\>CDR101: Not ready reading drive R
Abort, Retry, Fail?

sometimes it will work if you type f. Press A for abort, r for retry, and f for fail.

You can try using one of those CD cleaner discs like you would put in a CD player or swap out the CD drive for another one that you know it works.

Dos is soooooooooo much fun. :thumbsup:

Edited by Leurgy, 18 January 2005 - 08:38 AM.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#5 raegstar

raegstar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2005 - 07:31 PM

ok thanks ill rti that

if there is any body else that noes how to fox this i would be really happy if u helped

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users