Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What's The Best Real Time Protection Against Spyware?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 kimgeni

kimgeni

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:38 PM

Posted 22 May 2007 - 03:01 PM

I am looking for a free program that gives me live protection against spyware. Today I use SpywareBlaster and Spybot's Immunize function, however I need something in adition to this. I read the recomandations in Grinler's post, but as far as I can see, he only lists 1 such program, SpywareGuard. Are there any alternatives to this program, or is it simply the best? I've seen some reviews on download.com, and about half of them are negative. Looks like they "never" update the definitions.
So, in your opinion, what's the best free alternative there is?
Or are there a superb program that's worth paying for?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jwinathome

jwinathome

• Members
  • 1,360 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 AM

Posted 22 May 2007 - 03:08 PM

In all honesty, and this is just my opinion...but...the easiest way is to exercise safe Internet practices. I have not used any real-time spyware protection, and every time I run any scans there is nothing on my computers (3 of them.) I know this doesn't really answer your question directly...but its just an opinion.

Moderator Edit: Deleted unnecessary quote, to be more dialup friendly. ~ Animal

Edited by Animal, 22 May 2007 - 05:36 PM.

#3 kimgeni

kimgeni
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:38 PM

Posted 22 May 2007 - 04:45 PM

Yeah I know, but once in a while I get infected with something. During the last couple of years I've had 1 major problem, and that was because I wasn't careful enough. (To be hounest I was really stupid). However I've had a couple of invicible problems. 2-3 times a year Lavasoft , Spybot and AVG antispyware find something (trojans, adware...) and I don't know were they come from. I dont think I take more or fewer risks than an average person, but I'd like to have a real time protection as a complement to the scanners.

Thanks for your advice anyway. The internet isn't the safest place there is.

Moderator Edit: Deleted unnecessary quote, to be more dialup friendly. ~ Animal

Edited by Animal, 22 May 2007 - 05:37 PM.

#4 SpySentinel

SpySentinel

• Members
  • 2,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 AM

Posted 22 May 2007 - 05:53 PM

I would recommend Sunbelt-Software's CounterSpy v2 if you are looking for a good paid version AntiSpyware program.

It offers:

* Heavy-duty antispyware protection treads lightly on system resources.
* Kernel-level Active Protection™ defends 24-7.
* Hybrid design combines antimalware technology with our award-winning spyware detection and removal.
* Deep-rooted malware is exterminated at boot time, before Windows loads.
* Incremental definition updates greatly reduce update downloading time.
* Over 750,000 Threat definitions!
* Vista compatible: Integrates seamlessly with the Vista Windows Security Center.
* VIPRE (Virus Intrusion Protection Remediation Engine). VIPRE incorporates both traditional antivirus technology and cutting-edge antimalware techniques.
Posted Image
Unified Network of Instructors and Trained Eliminators

Posted Image

My help is always free, but if you can, please Posted Image to help me continue the fight against malware.

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,769 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2007 - 08:38 PM

SpywareBlaster is a program that blocks spyware tracking cookies in Internet Explorer and Mozilla/Firefox. It also restricts the actions of potentially dangerous sites in Internet Explorer by adding a list of sites and domains associated with known spyware, advertisers and marketers to Internet Explorer's Restricted Sites Zone. SB does not run in the background. Instead it only requires installation and then enabling of all protection. After that you only have to check periodically for database updates and then enable all protection again.

SpywareGuard is a limited real-time protection tool that monitors certain events and then acts to notify you that these events are taking place rather than prevent specific threats. SpywareGuard will notify you of any event attempt to change the browser home page - it makes no judgment on whether the change is good or bad but leaves the decision up to you to allow or deny it.

No single product is 100% foolproof and can detect and remove all threats at any given time. The security community is in a constant state of change as new malware infections appear. Each vendor has its own definition of what constitutes spyware and scanning your computer using different criteria will yield different results. The fact that each program has its own definition files means that some malware may be picked up by one that could be missed by another. Thus, a layered defense using several products (including an effective firewall) to supplement your anti-virus provides the most complete protection.

IMO Counterspy is an excellent choice. There are, however, other quality programs like SpySweeper and SpywareDoctor, both of which are listed as Trustworthy Anti-Spyware Products.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#6 buttoni

buttoni

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2007 - 02:13 PM

Ditto what SpySentinel said. I've been using Sunbelt Counterspy for sometime now and just love it! They got rid of the memory bloat with the last release. Can't beat the protection! It has allowed me to get rid of all my other AS programs [except AVG AntiSpyware (formerly Ewido) as on-demand scanner]. And if I remember right, renewals are only $10.95 annually! According to testers, it's one of the top 3-4 AS programs out there.

Edited by buttoni, 27 May 2007 - 02:17 PM.

HP Pavilion desktop p6270z; 8 GB ram; Win7 Home Premium x64 bit; FX 4.0; DSL 2Wire modem/router; MVPS Hosts; Comodo FW 5.3(D+ & Sandbox enabled); MSSE; MBAM on demand.

#7 SpySentinel

SpySentinel

• Members
  • 2,090 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2007 - 07:20 PM

Also Sunbelt-Software is now offering a Competitive Upgrade to CounterSpy Version 2. Now, users of free antispyware tools can buy CounterSpy v2 for only $9.95

Read More
Posted Image

Posted Image

My help is always free, but if you can, please Posted Image to help me continue the fight against malware.

#8 VirusHunter

VirusHunter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2007 - 02:20 AM

I've been using Spyware Terminator for the past few weeks. It's freeware and includes a real time resident scanner.

SpySentinel: Thanks for the piece of info!

#9 SpySentinel

SpySentinel

• Members
  • 2,090 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2007 - 03:46 PM

Your welcome VirusHunter, do you think I should post it in the "Breaking Virus and Security News"?
Posted Image

Posted Image

#10 Keith1

Keith1

• Members
  • 504 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2007 - 08:46 PM

Hi - It's good to see that you look for the best "preventative" measures against spyware on your computer. Since you already are using Spybot S&D ( great choice ) I am curious as to if you are using the "tea timer" option - it provides "real time" protection. This may be something you want to use.

TeaTimer is an active protection that monitors changes to certain system Registry keys such as System Startup, ActiveX Distribution Unit, Browser page and Browser Helper Object, etc. When any change is detected to these Registry keys a pop-up dialog is issued asking you to allow or deny the change and if you want TeaTimer to remember the decision. TeaTimer also monitors processes that are initiated in the system. If the process being initiated matches a list of processes in Spybot's detection files, the process is terminated and a dialog is issued to notify you and allow you to make choices as to how to handle the same process during future detections.

If you wish to try it -

While in advanced mode - in the left pane -

click on tools

then resident

under - resident protection status -

put a checkmark in the box next to resident "tea timer" .........

Hope this adds to what your looking for

#11 VirusHunter

VirusHunter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2007 - 12:04 AM

Your welcome VirusHunter, do you think I should post it in the "Breaking Virus and Security News"?

I think so. Had I not checked this post, I would have missed out on that fantastic deal! :thumbsup:

#12 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 AM

Posted 29 May 2007 - 01:17 AM

If you're using Firefox then you can get the NoScript Add-on.

It allows JavaScript, Java and other executable content to run only from trusted domains of your choice, e.g. your home-banking web site, and guards the "trust boundaries" against cross-site scripting attacks (XSS). Such a preemptive approach prevents exploitation of security vulnerabilities (known and even unknown!) with no loss of functionality...

The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#13 ItWouldRuin

ItWouldRuin

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 PM

Posted 29 May 2007 - 01:58 PM

It is pretty hard to say which is the 'best' since everyonce has different opinions.
And I've never understand this, Real Time , what is the different between it and 'on-demand'?
(I've heard these two words but I've never understand them completely)
But one thing is sure, it has to be antispyware.

#14 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2007 - 02:42 PM

"On-demand" usually means whenever the user requests it.

"Real time" means it is running constantly, in background, whenever the system is on.

That's my brief un-linked answer.

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#15 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 AM

Posted 29 May 2007 - 03:35 PM

I use SPYBOTSD with Teatimer, SpywareBlaster and SpywareGuard, all freebies. I also like SuperAntiSpyware and bought the Pro version. May be overkill, but I never have a problem :thumbsup: .

Edited by rowal5555, 29 May 2007 - 03:37 PM.

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users