Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Voip Bandwidth Requirements Up And Down

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 PM

Posted 22 May 2007 - 02:14 PM

I cant seem to find any info on what VOIP needs as far as connection speed for up and down.
I thought I heard it was like 90kbps or so.
Anyone know? I would need to know up and down I guess its the same both ways.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Members
  • 35,905 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 AM

Posted 22 May 2007 - 05:45 PM

What do you need to get started?

1. A high-speed Internet connection: A multiple channel connection with bandwidth greater than 2 Mbps. Cable, DSL and T1 or T3 services are all broadband. The link you choose will depend upon availability, your budget and the amount of telephone traffic you anticipate.

Quote from the following link.
http://www.broadbandinfo.com/broadband-con...quirements.html

Also a plethora of replies at google when you enter VoIP Requirements in the search bar.
Like this: http://www.google.com/search?client=opera&...-8&oe=utf-8

Be (VoIP Requirements) Safe :thumbsup:
Da Bleepin AniMod, Animal

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 PM

Posted 22 May 2007 - 09:32 PM

I think it uses less than 2mb as most of the world does not have that and VOIP works fine.
Believe it or not I have used VOIP fine over dial up for a few minutes to a time. It took from 2-10 seconds to connect to the other person but once it connected I was able to talk for many minutes without problems.

I read different opinions on it online. Some say 90kbps and some say as low as 24kbps both ways.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users