Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrading For Sp2 Installation

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Jove

Jove

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 PM

Posted 22 May 2007 - 12:21 PM

Hello,

OK I'm convinced I am sure you are somewhat familiar with this ;

"Your computer is not up to date with the latest version of Windows XP. Upgrade to Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2) today to help keep your computer secure (it's free!). Below is what you need to know to upgrade.
Learn more about the Support Lifecycle of Microsoft products to help keep your products up to date.
(Note: After October 10, 2006, Windows XP Service Pack 1 will transition to a non-supported status. Upgrade to Windows XP SP2 now for continued security updates and incident support.)"

Previously I was in the process of installing SP2 and ran into obsticles such as not enough RAM,
and have had similar problems D/L AOL Security Center.

Before I run off to the store and purchase more RAM, which I will do very soon, I would like to know a couple of things, concerning the following;

I have found that Quickens 2002 New User addition is using up 142.00MB,

I am still new at figuring computer stats, and figures, and what they can mean, however, Will I be missing much if I un-install it. Cuz, when I go to un-install it, I am prompted to confirm File deletion, that sounds kind of permanent, but 142 MB is one of the largest I have when checking A/R.

Will it help if I uninstall this program or is it not actively using RAM when it is just sitting there and I am not using it, as I have never used it ?

Specifications
Compaq
System Model: Presario 4403US
BIOS Version: Compaq 686P9 v1.10

Operating System
Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
Version: 5.1.2600
Service Pack: 0.0
PID: 55277-OEM-0011903-00101
Hot Fix: KB893803v2

Memory (RAM)
Capacity: 128.50 MB

Processor
Intel® Celeron™ CPU 1400MHz
Version: x86 Family 6 Model 11 Stepping 1
Speed: 1395 MHz

Compaq Presario 4403US ( Systems Model )
Home Edition
Version 2002
Service Pack 1
128 MB of RAM

General Computer Info
System Name: CPQ17096278943
Domain: WORKGROUP
Time Zone: Eastern Standard Time
Connection: Workstation (standalone)
Proxy Server: Auto
IP Address: xxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxx
IPX Address: Not Enabled

Local Disk
Total Capacity: 55.90 GB
Sum of Hard Disks: (C: )
Used: 5 GB

Free: 50.90 GB

Jove

Mod Edit: Edited to remove IP address. ~tg

Edited by tg1911, 23 May 2007 - 01:08 AM.

When you don't have to worry about your computer anymore, you can start
living again !

vrwqzc.gif
Success is a result, not a goal. . . . Flaubert

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:03 PM

Posted 23 May 2007 - 01:03 AM

If Quicken is not running at system startup, then it shouldn't be using any RAM, unless you start the program.
The amount of RAM you have (128MB) is the minimum required to run XP, in Microsoft's opinion.
I find, the only one with that opinion, is Microsoft. :thumbsup:
Most will recommend 512 MB minimum, unless you do a lot of intensive graphics, or video editing, in which case the minimum recommended is 1 GB.
If I were you, I would add more RAM.
That's one upgrade, where you will notice a BIG improvement, in system performance.
Windows will load quicker, programs will load quicker, and run better.
You, will, notice the difference.

According to Crucial, your computer will support a maximum of 512 MB.
Crucial has them for $38.99 per 256MB stick.
Compaq Presario 4403US Desktop/PC

I suggest you only buy Lifetime Guaranteed RAM, manufactured by one of the major companies:
Crucial
Kingston
Corsair

Ram is something, you don't want to cut corners on.
Whatever you do, don't buy "cheap" RAM.
This is one area where it's definitely, "You get, what you pay for".

Here's a good tutorial on RAM, you might want to read:
Understanding, Identifying and Upgrading the RAM in your PC
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,077 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 PM

Posted 24 May 2007 - 07:30 AM

RAM (system memory) is different than storage (your hard drive) - even though both use the same measure of capacity (megabytes (mB) or gigabytes (gB)).

A megabyte is (basically) a measure of capacity. One megabyte will hold approximately one million bytes. And a byte is equal to 8 bits. A bit is either a 1 or a 0. It may help to think of the bit as being a letter, and the byte as being a word.

From the specs that you gave, your hard drive has plenty of space left on it. This is the section for your hard drive (storage):

Local Disk
Total Capacity: 55.90 GB
Sum of Hard Disks: (C: )
Used: 5 GB

Free: 50.90 GB

Generally it's a good idea to leave 15% free space on the drive. That means your drive will be pretty full when the Used number reaches 47 GB. So, you've still got a ways to go. This means that you don't have to delete Quicken.

BUT, as tg1911 says, you definitely need more RAM. 128 mB of RAM just won't work acceptably on XP these days - and as the Windows installation gets older it needs even more memory just to keep up. I'd suggest a minimum of 512 mB - and would recommend 1 gB (2 - 512 mB sticks if possible).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users