Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Changing Notebook Hard Drive - Sata Controller?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 tekchallenged

tekchallenged

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 AM

Posted 22 May 2007 - 11:02 AM

I want to change the drive in my new notebook. The specs for the computer says it has "Smart SATA". Is this something different to just normal SATA - what does it mean? I am also completely confused as to what needs to be done to get the computer to recognize the drive. There is an Intel SATA AHCI Controller Driver on the manufacturer's website but is that for Intel processors??? The specifications for the AMD chipset say "Serial ATA controller supports the advanced high speed serial ATA connection; with hot plug and RAID 0,1 function to enhance performance and data security." Does that mean it doesn't need an additional driver for the hard drive? Can anyone explain and tell me what I have to do? Thanks. :thumbsup:
Feel free to assume that I won't know what you are talking about...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:29 PM

Posted 22 May 2007 - 05:42 PM

What's the make and model of your laptop? Also, why do you want to change out the hard drive?

HERE is a definition for SATA.

HERE is a definition for S.M.A.R.T. SATA.

If you've got an hour to kill, HERE's the definition of SATA from Wikipedia.
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#3 tekchallenged

tekchallenged
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2007 - 09:25 PM

What's the make and model of your laptop? Also, why do you want to change out the hard drive?

Thanks stevealmighty ( :thumbsup: )
HP nx6325. (The why is a long story and not that interesting.)
I'd already researched Wikipedia and figured out what SATA is, I was just trying to find out whether this SMART business needs me to get any particular sort of drive or not. I assume that SMART monitoring stuff is software-based???

#4 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2007 - 09:54 PM

From what I've read, the SMART can be turned on and off in the BIOS. Any hdd should do. Worst case scenario is that the hdd you buy doesn't support SMART and you have to disable it in the BIOS, which means that you'll waste roughly 1 minute of your life doing so! :thumbsup: :flowers:
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#5 tekchallenged

tekchallenged
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2007 - 10:10 PM

which means that you'll waste roughly 1 minute of your life doing so! :flowers: :trumpet:

You overestimate my abilities :thumbsup: Try 1 day :inlove: Thanks.

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,076 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2007 - 10:48 AM

When you go to install Windows, it's gonna prompt you to install RAID/SCSI drivers (it's shows at the bottom of the screen on an XP installation and asks you to press F6) - that's when you'll insert the disk with the SATA drivers into your floppy drive (yep, that's what I said - floppy drive is required!)

You can usually use a USB floppy drive for this.
You can also image the old drive and restore the image to the new drive - but this will bring up additional problems with Windows. If you need to do this option, post back and I'll go into more detail (probably more than you'll ever want to know!)

Good luck!

Edited by usasma, 24 May 2007 - 10:48 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 tekchallenged

tekchallenged
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2007 - 11:02 AM

When you go to install Windows, it's gonna prompt you to install RAID/SCSI drivers

You can usually use a USB floppy drive for this.
You can also image the old drive

Thanks, I've bought a USB floppy, but how do I know what SATA drivers I need? The Intel controller driver? Or do I have to get something from AMD? How do I get the right ones? What am I looking for?

I don't want to image the old drive.

#8 Baloo

Baloo

• Members
  • 243 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 PM

Posted 24 May 2007 - 02:07 PM

The SATA drivers should be available on the floppy that came with the hard drive. Windows does have a generic set of SATA drivers that it will load if you don't have a disk.
When life hands you lemons squeeze the lemon juice right in his eye!

#9 tekchallenged

tekchallenged
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2007 - 06:50 PM

The SATA drivers should be available on the floppy that came with the hard drive. Windows does have a generic set of SATA drivers that it will load if you don't have a disk.

AHA! :thumbsup: Thanks

#10 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,076 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2007 - 07:30 PM

Here's a thread that discusses your system and the SATA drivers: http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/...eriesId=1849082
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#11 tekchallenged

tekchallenged
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2007 - 10:47 AM

Thanks everyone. The final word appears to be that there is no need for drivers because the hard drive "is accessed using legacy PATA mode (although it has SATA connector)". So it's sorted - I need to get a SATA drive, but don't have to worry about drivers. Thanks again. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users