Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Posible Motherboard Problem

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 teddybehr

teddybehr

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 PM

Posted 22 May 2007 - 10:32 AM

I ordered a MSI Platinum P965 775 motherboard from Newegg.com recently. I put together all of the parts I ordered, 2.4 dual core, 2 GBs of Patriot RAM, 500 GB Western Digital hard drive, EVGA 8800 GTS video card and a DVD RW drive.

Every once in awhile I get a blue screen that automatically reboots the computer. Other times I get a message after I reboot the computer that Windows has recovered from a serious error. When I send information about that error to Microsoft it is a general "your computer is broken" message. The first two times I installed Windows XP I also got a message a couple of times that the registry file was corrupted and was repaired. I also have gotten a message before Windows has started up that there are missing system files.

I look in the event log and see an occasional error message. I go to MS for help and don't see anything that I can specifically point at being the problem.

I have installed Windows XP professional 3 times now. The second time none of the USB devices had drivers installed and nothing I tried got that done. The third time I see that the USB drivers are installed and USB devices seem to work.

My roommate and I are thinking that it is the motherboard, are we right? I hate to send the motherboard back, get another one and have the same problem.

Thanks for any help you guys can provide!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 AM

Posted 22 May 2007 - 11:03 AM

I would suspect the ram, run memtest after verifying that voltage and timings are correct in bios

another issue is that durn jmicron chipset, what kind of optical drive did you buy? and install windows from?

what exact memory did you use?
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#3 teddybehr

teddybehr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 PM

Posted 22 May 2007 - 11:14 AM

I would suspect the ram, run memtest after verifying that voltage and timings are correct in bios

another issue is that durn jmicron chipset, what kind of optical drive did you buy? and install windows from?

what exact memory did you use?

Here are all of the parts I bought:

CPU INTEL|C2D E6600 2.4G 775 4M R
VGA EVGA 320-P2-N811-AR 8800GTS
PSU PCPWR&COOL|SILENCER750 4-COPPER
HD 500G|WD 7K 16M SATA2 WD5000YS
MEM 1Gx2|PATRIOT 240P PDC22G6400LLK
DVD BURN SONYNEC|AD-7170S-0B SATA
MB MSI P965 Platinum P965 775

I haven't run memtest, I will do that tonight. Hmmm. I assumed that the motherboard's default settings for the RAM were good, I will have to check that too.

I installed Windows XP pro from an OEM CD that I bought.

#4 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2007 - 11:26 AM

Timing: 4-4-4-12
Voltage: 2.2V

Notice:
Only DDR2-800 memory supporting JEDEC approved 1.8V operation with timings of 5-5-5 or 6-6-6 is supported on Intel Desktop Boards based on Intel 965 Express Chipsets.

might want to investigate this further, durn bleedin edge hardware

I played around with my bios and 3 sets of memory when I built my box 1 1/2 years ago but my latency has been as low as
45 ns, old free everest home doesn't see the new stuff tho

Windows only lasted 2 weeks before crashing with my overclocked via sata controller and my raptor drive

Edited by DaChew, 22 May 2007 - 11:31 AM.

Chewy

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2007 - 10:27 AM

You'll need to get the exact info that the blue screen gives. Here's a link on how to get BSOD information: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/top...tml#entry409491
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 T

T

• Members
  • 305 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2007 - 05:12 PM

Notice:
Only DDR2-800 memory supporting JEDEC approved 1.8V operation with timings of 5-5-5 or 6-6-6 is supported on Intel Desktop Boards based on Intel 965 Express Chipsets.

Really, this is a suggestion, not a requirement. DDR2-800 running at 4-4-4-12 stock runs fine on mine after setting the timings in the bios.

Posted Image

#7 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2007 - 05:16 PM

Notice:

Really, this is a suggestion, not a requirement. DDR2-800 running at 4-4-4-12 stock runs fine on mine after setting the timings in the bios.

going into bios and setting manually might be a good idea for the poster
Chewy

#8 T

T

• Members
  • 305 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2007 - 11:24 AM

Ah just another note about the ram, you'll probably have to up the voltage a bit, because it most likely won't run 4-4-4-12 on 1.8v

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users