Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Won't Finish Boot Process

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 randyrayd

randyrayd

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:41 PM

Posted 22 May 2007 - 07:17 AM

My OS is Win2K Pro and when attempting to boot yesterday my computer hung on the Go Back app and would go no further. During several subsequent attempts I got far enough in the boot process to get an error saying my keyboard wouldn’t work. Using a third keyboard I somehow got a full boot with my Windows CD and quickly ran a virus scan showing no infection and thought everything was okay, took out the CD and changed the boot sequence back.

Now I’m stuck on the Go Back screen again. While in BIOS I discovered it said the year was 2002 and thought that was why Go Back hung but reset the clock and still nothing works. I can’t boot to safe mode (only beeps when I tap the keyboard), now the windows CD will not boot the machine. I’ve tried to do a reinstall, but am told two small partitions are too small (no option for changing their size) and for some reason can’t install on the primary partition, just a note saying I can’t, nothing else. I can only get to Set-Up and BIOS. I’ve tried burning different boot disks to CD (no floppy drive)
on another computer but only get “Retry Boot” when using them.

Various times I can get far enough to get Go Back to load then try to revert, but
just get a “Wait” notice from the app and nothing further.

No sounds when booting unless I tap F5 or F8, sometimes F12 beeps every time I tap. Of course I haven’t backed up my documents and WAB, etc. so I’m trying not to delete partitions and start over.

Any ideas before I use a sledgehammer? I’m at work but will check on the other computer when I get home. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Randall

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 randyrayd

randyrayd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:41 PM

Posted 23 May 2007 - 07:11 AM

I had to format and reinstall. I finally got to safe mode. The "press F8 for troubleshooting" finally popped up after many, many attempts and I got in safe mode and got most of my documents, Favs, and WAB backed up. When I tried (and tried, and tried) to reinstall windows I was told it couldn't be found.

Now I've got days of reinstalling apps to look forward to. I have to install my wireless first to get driver updates....my appearance is that of safe mode.

A word to the procrastinators like me. Do your backups more timely.

Randall

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users