Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Establishing Dialup Connection - Windows 98

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 tekchallenged

tekchallenged

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 PM

Posted 22 May 2007 - 06:30 AM

I've tried to dialup my new ISP on my old Windows 98 computer. The ISP has setup instructions, and I've gone through and followed those. It dials up and the other end answers, but the box indicates it is dialling, then connecting, then it says it is verifying username, etc. BUT the setting is that "log on to network" is not checked, so I don't know why it is trying to verify a username (or where it is getting a username from??). I thought I'd bring up a terminal window to see if that would show me what was happening. The other computer prompted for my username, but when I tried to type it on the keyboard, nothing appeared on screen (it was as if the keyboard was not connected) and the other end disconnected me. If that setting "log on to network" is not checked, shouldn't it bring up some kind of login prompt???? Any help as to what's going on would be appreciated. :thumbsup:
Feel free to assume that I won't know what you are talking about...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 AM

Posted 24 May 2007 - 10:56 PM

OK, not having any idea what your ISP told you to do, my question would be, do they have some kind of dialup software that you're using? It doesn't sound like you set it up the "normal" way.

Normally, you'd set up a new dialup connection by going to "Dial Up Connections" (if memory serves) and you'd be asked to put in your incoming and outgoing mail, such as mail.cableone.net, except for your own ISP - could be something like SMTP.comcast.net.

You'd be asked to put in your username. When you try to actually dial it, you would be asked to fill in your password and if you'd like to save it. Usually, once it's set up correctly, you should be able to log in automatically.

Seems like, somewhere in your setup, you'd have put in at least a user name.

#3 tekchallenged

tekchallenged
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 PM

Posted 25 May 2007 - 01:58 AM

You'd be asked to put in your username. When you try to actually dial it, you would be asked to fill in your password and if you'd like to save it. Usually, once it's set up correctly, you should be able to log in automatically.

Well, this is what has me stumped. The ISP has said that in the Advanced Options of the Server Type, that "Log on to network" is not checked so I don't "get" when the logon is supposed to be happening. The other side prompts for username, but my keyboard doesn't seem to work in the terminal window. :thumbsup:
Feel free to assume that I won't know what you are talking about...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users