Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No Signal On Monitor

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 alt3rn1ty

alt3rn1ty

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 AM

Posted 22 May 2007 - 04:59 AM

I have a problem with my desktop monitor, while playing Neverwinter Nights 2 on a previously stable computer, the screen went black followed by the No Signal message on the monitor. Subsequent reboots dont even bring the monitor out of standby.

The monitor is fine, I hooked it up to the laptop and used it as a second display and no problems.

My desktop posts fine, one beep as usual, keyboard light blinks once, optical drives check for inserted media, and the hard drive chitters away for the usual peiod of time until it gets to the log on waiting for my input which obviously I cant see at the moment. I normally have the monitor connected to the grafics card using the digital connector, but have tried the DSUB connector too (monitor supports both - ViewSonic VX24 (I think that model number is correct but not sure) LCD) with no joy on the desktop.

I have reset the bios, reseated graphics card and memory sticks, re-plugged in all cables on the motherboard.

Mobo = ASUS K8V-F, with AMD Athlon 64 3400. 1gb memory (2 x 512 PC3200)
Grafics = Winfast A400 (NVidia Geforce 6800 GT, 256m)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 alt3rn1ty

alt3rn1ty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2007 - 05:05 AM

Forgot to mention also checked system with panel off, all fans working, the graphics card fan is spinning so believe its not a power problem just to be sure I switched molex connectors between hard drive and graphics card and everything seems to boot as normal.

#3 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 AM

Posted 22 May 2007 - 05:38 AM

Have you tested the monitor on another computer?

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 PM

Posted 22 May 2007 - 05:44 AM

Does your motherboard have intergrated graphics such that you pull out the video card and then see if it will work? Do you have access to another video card that you could try?
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 alt3rn1ty

alt3rn1ty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2007 - 06:03 AM

Tested monitor as a second display with my laptop, no problems.

Desktop motherboard I believe has a DSUB connector - problem is I cant test using that because its a male dsub, and so is my cable.

Is there such a thing as a double female adaptor? and if this was possible would this narrow it down to a fault with the graphics card?

Edited by alt3rn1ty, 22 May 2007 - 06:08 AM.

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 AM

Posted 22 May 2007 - 08:20 AM

The generic test for a failed graphics card is to substitute another card (one known to be good). You can purchase one from a store that has a decent return policy, and then return it if the problem isn't with the graphics card.

Are you sure that the DSUB connector is for video? Normally they aren't used for that on motherboards. This link says that the mobo doesn't have onboard graphics: http://www.fujitsu-siemens.co.uk/rl/servic...an_K8V-F_uk.pdf
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 alt3rn1ty

alt3rn1ty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2007 - 10:53 AM

Thanx john, yep I found out also the port I am looking at is a serial connector, doh!, and I am 95% certain now i have a blown graphics card. Going to get a replacement (its a bit old now anyway and agp are fairly cheap now after pci express, got my eyes on a 7300 gt ).
Will let you know how it goes.

#8 alt3rn1ty

alt3rn1ty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2007 - 12:44 PM

:thumbsup: :flowers: :trumpet:

Thanx all, you gave me the added confidence that the feeling was pointing towards the graphics card, I know problems of this kind can be attributed to a number of problems and realise its hard for anyone to say without a shadow of a doubt exactly what the problem is likely to be risking a waste of money on a feeling..... but I dont have the cash to fully upgrade now so went on a bit of a gamble and got the 7300 GT upgrade.

As you will have probably guessed it was the old card, how it happened I have no idea, but alls well that ends well.

Again much thanx - I am at this time merrily tapping away on the previously afflicted machine. :inlove:

Now where did I put Oblivion?.

Edited by alt3rn1ty, 22 May 2007 - 12:46 PM.

#9 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 AM

Posted 24 May 2007 - 06:59 AM

What do you think of Oblivion for someone who's addicted to Doom, Half-Life, Quake, etc? It (Oblivion) keeps calling to me from the store's shelves - but I'm hesitating because of the price.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#10 alt3rn1ty

alt3rn1ty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2007 - 02:39 PM

Sorry John for taking so long to reply I have been at sea, but highly recommended. You also have the same taste as me, and although oblivion is more of a relaxing adventure than an in your face shooter I think you will like it, even more so if you were a fan of The Elder Scrolls series of games. I think its now coming of age too, like Morrowind before it the modding community are starting to bloom with their collective brilliance and ability to give the game far more longevity and diverse add-on adventures for a multitude of personal tastes. If you havent tried morrowind thats also still very recommendable, if you listen to the forums you will pick up on the odd comment which I agree with that even though Oblivion has come on leaps and bounds technically, Morrowind had something in the atmosphere of the game no-one can quite put their finger on that still makes people go back to it. If you ever want mods for Morrowind try

http://www.mwmythicmods.com/telesphoros.htm

I think this site is the most comprehensive collection of mods.

I am undecided as to which site for Oblivion at the moment but the following is pretty good

http://www.oblivionsource.com/?page=modfor...;project_id=495

If you give either a go be warned they can take up a fair amount of your life, the hook is when you get into the mods they can be very diverse, even perverse and often encourage moral/ethical arguments which the authors have a job defending sometimes. Having a fifteen year old daughter who loves the game has given me some dilemmas as to what to include sometimes, (which is another good thing about Morrowind, it works on my laptop), for instance one mod introduces a faction of female courtiers you could join if so inclined who use their "talents" to grow within the game.... teaching my daughter to become a world famous adept whore didnt seem like a good choice to include. You get the picture. Its interesting in a lot of ways, my wife loves animal companions on adventures while I am away at sea, and I developed a female character who is a pretty close representation of my wife and with the aid of a few mods we can get up to all sorts of mischief while apart. Anyway hope you find either as good as we did. They are both huge adventures, be sure to register and download the patches too, the first versions werent without teething troubles.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users