Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What Windows Is Safer?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Blazing

Blazing

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 AM

Posted 22 May 2007 - 12:32 AM

I have a question about windows. I akways liked 98, fewer problems with it though its yesterday:-(
I am wondering is it easier to get virus with Win'XP or 2000 than 98? i seem to have got much lech less virus with 98.
And what antivirus programs would you recomend?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Pacoil

Pacoil

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 AM

Posted 23 May 2007 - 01:14 AM

I am a usual user like you but as a friend once explained to me, viruses are developed orienting for Win'2000, XP and so. There are not so many users of 98 now, right?
As for antivirus programs i have always had only Kaspersky and would advice you the same. Here are also numerous antivirus programs. http://www.downloadsoftware4free.com/categ...irus-tools.html

#3 Commander Gman

Commander Gman

• Members
  • 1,214 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 PM

Posted 23 May 2007 - 02:48 AM

The most common infections i can say is XP
Many malware writers are developing in this OS
and so are Anti-Malware programs

I use AVG for my Anti-Virus Primarily
If you want more AV's (Anti-Virus programs) check this link

Edited by Commander Gman, 23 May 2007 - 02:50 AM.

Motherboard: MSI P35 Neo-F (Socket 775 LGA) Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.40 Ghz Kentsfield Chipset: Intel P35 Graphics Card: Nvidia Geforce GT 440 Memory: 2x 2GB DDR2 800 RAM Storage: 1x IDE 80GB, 1x SATA II 500 GB, 1x External 500GB HD Power Supply: 600W Power supply Monitor: Dual screen set-up Casing: Mini-ATX Fan(s): 1x 80mm silent fan OS: Windows XP SP3

#4 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 PM

Posted 23 May 2007 - 03:20 AM

THe most popular windows virii is going to be XP\2000 right now. When 98 was mainstream, there were virtually no virii for NT4/2000. Virus writers change based on the most used OS. Recommended anti virus programs: Nod32, Kapersky, Avast Home Free, AVG Free, F-Secure, Panda, Trend Micro, BitDefender, etc there are too many that are good for me to mention all, the only thing that I will say is to avoid McAfee and Norton. They are to popular and easy for the virus writers to avoid detection. They also have lower than usual removal success when they detect a virus.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users