Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

First Time Building Pc!

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 KIDRoach

KIDRoach

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 PM

Posted 22 May 2007 - 12:28 AM

Any comments would be deeply appreciated. :thumbsup:

CPU : Core 2 Duo E4400
Motherboard : Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 LGA 775 Intel P965 Express ATX Intel Motherboard
Case : XION Solaris XON-403 Black with Green LED Light Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
PSU : FSP Group (Fortron Source)
FSP Group (Fortron Source) ATX350-PA, version 2.2 RoHS, SATA, 350W Power Supply - OEM

RAM : Corsair XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 675 (PC2 5400)
VGA : XFX PVT84JUDD3 GeForce 8600GT 256MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card
Hard Drive : Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3320620AS (Perpendicular Recording Technology)
320GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive

Optical Drive : Sony NEC Optiarc Black 2MB Cache E-IDE / ATAPI DVD Burner
Monitor : Acer AL1706Ab Black 17" 8ms LCD Monitor 270 cd/m2 500:1 :huh:
Keyboard : Logitech 967738-0403 Black 104 Normal Keys USB Standard Deluxe 250 Keyboard
Mouse : Microsoft N71-00007S Black 3 Buttons 1 x Wheel USB Wired Optical Wheel Mouse
Speakers : Logitech X-230 32 Watts 2.1 Black Speakers

Are they all compatible?
Should I change anything to increase Performance/Price?

I actually posted it on my last thread, but i didn't think anyone noticed :huh:
If Quizzes were Quizzicles, what are Tests ?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Nikas

Nikas

• Members
  • 650 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2007 - 01:08 AM

I would change the PSU to a higher watt like 450 - 500. For the rest, sounds alright to me.

Some other experts could give you better advice.

#3 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 PM

Posted 22 May 2007 - 01:24 AM

I agree with Nikas, get a bigger power supply, and don't go cheap. Antec, Thermaltake, are good. I hear Coolermaster(?) is good too. You have a lot of stuff and don't want your power to lag or fail. I would also recomend getting a case that is tool less. It's up to you, but I prefer the tool less because the drives go in a lot easier. I'm no expert either, but everything else looks compatable... :thumbsup:
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#4 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 AM

Posted 22 May 2007 - 06:56 AM

300W is big enough. That machine will eat about 250W. And Fortron Source is a good brand. That looks like a nice well-balanced build.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 AM

Posted 22 May 2007 - 09:04 AM

I ordered a XION case from NewEgg (similiar model) not long ago. Although I ordered green, they sent me blue. I returned it and got another - still got blue instead of green. Then I bought from another online merchant - and still got blue instead of green.

I've got to conclude that there's someone working in the XION plant who is color blind - I finally just kept the blue case and am trying to locate the green lights on eBay! :thumbsup:
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 KIDRoach

KIDRoach
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2007 - 09:05 AM

Is the processor good for its performance? or is it worth it to take an Intel Core 2 Duo 6400 ?

Is the VGA card too high up for the build?

And umm... What's a tool less?

Again, Many thanks

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 AM

Posted 22 May 2007 - 09:11 AM

I ordered a XION case from NewEgg (similiar model) not long ago. Although I ordered green, they sent me blue. I returned it and got another - still got blue instead of green. Then I bought from another online merchant - and still got blue instead of green.

I've got to conclude that there's someone working in the XION plant who is color blind - I finally just kept the blue case and am trying to locate the green lights on eBay! :thumbsup:
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 PM

Posted 22 May 2007 - 11:38 AM

And umm... What's a tool less?

That's a case that uses clips or rails to install the drives so you don't use screws. Therefore, you don't need a screwdriver. The last 2 puters I built have tool less cases and it's nice just putting the rails on and sliding the drive in. They have cases with sliding clip type things so you slide the drive in, then slide the clip which locks the drive in place. I don't have one of those but I've seen them. Next build, maybe... :thumbsup:

edit:

Go HERE to Tigerdirect.com and half way down the page is a link called "The truth about power supplies" it has a little chart letting you know about how much power each component uses and you add it up to see how big of a PSU you need.

Edited by Wildabeast, 22 May 2007 - 11:42 AM.

"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#9 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 AM

Posted 22 May 2007 - 12:24 PM

About the Tiger direct power usage. RAM doesn't eat 7 W per 128 MB. More like 7 W per stick.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#10 KIDRoach

KIDRoach
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2007 - 05:12 AM

I've just noticed that they have this thing called "PCI-e 6 pin connecter" and "PCI-e 8 pin connecter"

What are these? Are these necessary for my graphic cards?

#11 jackfrench89

jackfrench89

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:19 PM

Posted 23 May 2007 - 06:20 AM

Some graphics cards require extra power than what can be provided by the pci-e slot because their cores are so hefty. From memory, the 8600 gets all its power from the pci-e slot, so I don't think you need to worry about 6 or 8 pin connectors.

#12 KIDRoach

KIDRoach
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2007 - 12:25 PM

Thanks, that's all i needed to know i think, but not gonna build it yet. Will build the system in two months time and check again if I should upgrade anything by that time

Thanks for the advices

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users