Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Missing Files?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 plambyflan

plambyflan

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:26 AM

Posted 21 May 2007 - 11:57 PM

Hello all, I have a question that I hope some bright minds here can help answer.

Can a virus merely move or hide your files? I ask this because a friend was using my computer the other day. According to her it reset itself and when it came back it had cleaned out a lot of my games and documents. I tried doing multiple system restores and each time it filled my hard drive up but hardly any files were replaced (that I could find). I found some program running in the back round which i canceled in the task manager and I found the file that was bugging things up. Unfortunately I don't recall the name of the file (it was something like ssffhsh or some nonsense) or where I found it. But it no longer runs and my system is clean of viruses. I was willing to concede and accept that all my files were lost, but the hard drive space being taken up was bugging me as well as these custom menus I created (on the task bar) that held all my shortcuts are telling me that the location is unavailable and could be on another drive. Well I only have C: drive and my cd rom drive. Any chance my files are hiding somewhere or are they gone? And what files could my computer be finding that would fill up my drive with 90 gigs of stuff.

I just play The Sims on my computer and sometimes some online games at like Pogo and stuff. I have yet to find out exactly what she was doing on my comp but I don't think it was anything other than surfing *shrug*.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

PS
AVG Virus Scanner is taking over 3 hours (which is much longer than ever before) and its scanning a folder which I cannot find called c:\system volume information restore which appears to have a lot of stuff as that is where most of the scanning is going on.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 PM

Posted 22 May 2007 - 01:18 AM

Posted Image to BC.

Please set your system to show all files.
Click Start, open My Computer, select the Tools menu and click Folder Options.
Select the View Tab. Under the Hidden files and folders heading, select Show hidden files and folders.
Uncheck: Hide file extensions for known file types
Uncheck the Hide protected operating system files (recommended) option.
Click Yes to confirm.

Please run a BitDefender Online Scan
  • Click I Agree to agree to the EULA.
  • Allow the ActiveX control to install when prompted.
  • Click Click here to scan to begin the scan.
  • Please refrain from using the computer until the scan is finished. This might take a while to run, but it is important that nothing else is running while you scan.
  • When the scan is finished, click on Click here to export the scan results.
  • Save the report to your desktop so you can post it in your next reply.
Please run the F-Secure Online Scanner
Note: This Scanner is for Internet Explorer Only!
Follow the Instruction here for installation.
Accept the License Agreement.
Once the ActiveX installs,Click Full System Scan
Once the download completes, the scan will begin automatically.
The scan will take some time to finish, so please be patient.
When the scan completes, click the Automatic cleaning (recommended) button.
Click the Show Report button and Copy&Paste the entire report in your next reply.

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,140 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 AM

Posted 22 May 2007 - 01:05 PM

The System Volume Information folder is a part of System Restore - the tool that allows you to set points in time to roll back your computer. The System Volume Information folder is where XP stores these System Restore points and other information such as: Distributed Link Tracking Service databases for repairing your shortcuts and linked documents; Content Indexing Service databases for fast file searches; Information used by the Volume Snapshot Service (also known as "Volume Shadow Copy") so you can back up files on a live system.

The System Volume Information folder is hidden/protected by default unless you have reconfigured Windows to show it. This prevents programs from using or manipulating the files that are inside it. The files are inactive while in the data store and are not used by any utility other than System Restore. You should not be tampering with this folder. Doing so could cause problems with proper system functioning.

If your scans are taking a long time or locking up, try doing them in "SAFE MODE".
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 plambyflan

plambyflan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:26 AM

Posted 22 May 2007 - 03:37 PM

Ok, I set up the Bit Defender to run last night and its this is what is going on....

Bit Defender Scan

Its stuck at this point and the time left is not going down.

Haven't done the other stuff yet, I'm gonna run in safe mode and try again. Thanks guys :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users