Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista And Netscape

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 MichaelSC

MichaelSC

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 AM

Posted 21 May 2007 - 10:46 PM

Got a new Dell Inspiron E1705 a few months ago, and enjoying it very much. But was disappointed when it came with Vista, as I typically like to wait until there's a couple of Service Packs out so I don't have to deal with all the initial problems. But oh well.

For several reasons, I prefer to run Netsacape as my browser. I've been having this odd problem off and on since I got the computer, but it's been increasing in frequency, to the point where it's constant, and therefore can't be ignored any longer.

When I start up the program, I get the message "An error occured in the installation. Please restart the program." But this is after I've been successfully running Netscape, and shut it down for whatever reason (either because I wanted to and used "exit" or because it encountered a fault and Windows shut it down.) To get Netscape started again, I have to uninstall, then re-install. At that point it all works fine. Simply rebooting the computer doesn't resolve it.

OS: Windows Vista Home Premium Version 6.00 (build 6000)
Browser: Netscape version 8.1.3

I've looked on both Microsoft's and Netscapes help sites with no help. So any clues or info anyone here can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:40 PM

Posted 22 May 2007 - 01:27 AM

Hi Michael, like Netscape quite a few programs are not Vista friendly yet. As 8.1.3 is for XP sometimes programs will work ok with Vista and sometimes not. Have you tried Mozilla yet a good alternitive.
MCP
MSDST

#3 SubMariner

SubMariner

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 AM

Posted 22 May 2007 - 04:20 PM

Hi Michael, like Netscape quite a few programs are not Vista friendly yet. As 8.1.3 is for XP sometimes programs will work ok with Vista and sometimes not. Have you tried Mozilla yet a good alternitive.

I'm just a YOOSER, but I thought I'd post my experience with Vista. Firefox seems to work fairly well with my version (Vista Business) as does the latest version of IE. Firefox is my preferred browser, however. I also like the FF add-in Cookie Safe; I just wish they would make it a little more like the previous version, which I felt was more user friendly.

That being said, there are still some websites that do not play well with FF, like Mapquest.

Pax,

Edited by SubMariner, 23 May 2007 - 08:19 AM.

=SubMariner=

#4 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2007 - 07:08 PM

This is an update to this posting. The most recent edition of Netscape, Navigator 9, is Vista compliant. I assume this is largely because many of it's features are based off Firefox.

3939.png

#5 cssiscool

cssiscool

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 AM

Posted 14 August 2007 - 02:59 PM

Why would you want that old junky Netscape on your hard drive? Upgrade to Firefox.

#6 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2007 - 06:13 PM

Netscape, these days anyway, is Firefox. AOL stripped out most of their software and all that remains is the browser. Some people are purists and stick with just Firefox, others want the same browsing experience with more features. I've been using it and I still enjoy it.

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users