Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problems With Internet Explorer & Foxfire

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Wendy K. Walker

Wendy K. Walker

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  
  • Location:In The Treeline 300 Yards Behind You, Tracking Your Every Move Through A Sniper Scope
  • Local time:05:59 PM

Posted 21 May 2007 - 10:42 PM

Hi Everyone,

OK my PC just got a clean bill of health from HJT and I'm still having problems with both of the browsers that I use, Internet Explorer and Firefox.

Whenever I have to sign on to the Internet from from an Administrators on my PC I've been using a program called DMR to lessen my risks of catching something that I don't need and having it running wily-nilly through me machine.

I've been using DMR in conjunction with IE6, FF2.0.03 and Yahoo Messenger with voice 7.0.2.120 for the past eight months, maybe longer, with no trouble.

Then a couple of weeks ago I had something like four back to back power failures within less than a minute. When I got to my PC it was running something like CHKDSK so I just let it do. I have no idea just what it was doing but I had yet another power failure.

When the lights came back on my machine got stuck in some kind of endless loop of starting to boot, shutting down and starting to boot over again.

So I took my PC to a nationally advertised dealer\repair shop to have it checked out. The tech at the counter verified my problem, told me that I'd have to do a system restore to get it right again and suggested that I might want to have a data recovery done before I did the restore.

I figured that was a good idea as I have lousy backup habits and left my PC which was supposed to be ready the next evening.

Needless to say it wasn't and over the course of the next several days I received several excuses saying that the system was so corrupted that the techs were having a hard time accessing my data.

OK, so when I finally get it back, hook it up and power it up getting ready to do a system restore Windows opened normally.

At first I thought that was a good thing and was relieved that I wasn't going to have to do the restore thing. Well I was happy until I tried to access the Internet.

When I clicked my IE icon I instantly received an error message saying that IE had encountered a problem and needed to close. I clicked OK and that was it... I sat there for a couple of minutes waiting for the little screen to pop up asking if I wanted to notify Microsoft about it but it never popped up.

I tried the IE icon several more times with the same results. Then I tried Foxfire and it didn't do a darned thing. Then I opened Yahoo Messenger and clicked on the mail feature which immediately generated the error message about IE needing to close again.

Now I'm getting all perplexed so I tried the full featured IE and Foxfire icons and both browsers popped up with no problem.

So now I'm starting to think that my PC was conspiring against me and make me use an unprotected IE browser to surf the net with so I logged on to Bleeping Computers and went to the HJT forum and started working my way down the page to see what I might be able to clean out of my system.

Well much to my chagrin one of the scans that I ran turned up a dialer for "SOHARDCORE.COM." Then a few days later I find a corresponding entry for that site in my Foxfire Bookmarks.

I have already uninstalled DMR through the add\remove thingy in my control panel AND deleted the folder that it was in before going to their website and downloading the program again and I've done that several times with no change in the way that my icons work.

This has me wondering just what the heck that tech did to\with my machine.

OldTimer in the HJT forum suggested that it might be a rights issue, a corrupted profile or maybe one of my security programs blocking access and suggested that I post over here again, so here I am and that's my problem.

So does anyone have any suggestions?

Oh yeah, and that data recovery disk that those guys made for me doesn't do anything when I put it in my DVD drive except cause the little green light to blink like crazy for a couple of minutes then stop AND while it's doing that it wipes my D:\ drive out :thumbsup: ! I mean it causes it to plumb disappear from from my "Start> My Computer" menu file until I reboot my PC.

ANY help will be greatly appreciated here guys.

Wendy
TRUST NO ONE...! EXCEPT For The Beloved Computer Geek Helping You In The MALWARE FORUMS.

Do Unto Others Before They Have A Chance To Do Unto You.

HP Pavilion 512n [Rescued from a pile of trash on the side of the road] 128 MB SDRAM, 60 GB Hard Drive, Windows XP, Home Edition, SP3, COMODO Anti Vitus and Firewall.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:59 AM

Posted 22 May 2007 - 12:41 AM

I would try using the System File Checker.

How to Use SFC.EXE to Repair System Files

If that doesn't work I would do a repair install of Windows.

How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 Wendy K. Walker

Wendy K. Walker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  
  • Location:In The Treeline 300 Yards Behind You, Tracking Your Every Move Through A Sniper Scope
  • Local time:05:59 PM

Posted 25 May 2007 - 06:15 PM

Hi Budapest,

Thanks for the comment and information. I can't use either of those though as I don't have the XP disks for my system.

Thanks,
Wendy
TRUST NO ONE...! EXCEPT For The Beloved Computer Geek Helping You In The MALWARE FORUMS.

Do Unto Others Before They Have A Chance To Do Unto You.

HP Pavilion 512n [Rescued from a pile of trash on the side of the road] 128 MB SDRAM, 60 GB Hard Drive, Windows XP, Home Edition, SP3, COMODO Anti Vitus and Firewall.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users