Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Why Is Nero Destroying My Dvd+rw Formatting?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 joygreen

joygreen

• Members
  • 242 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 PM

Posted 21 May 2007 - 09:56 PM

Prior to Nero's upgrade to ver 6, I could copy my favorite dvd's made on DVD+RW to the cheaper DVD+R's (making copies of home movies, and tvshows I want to archive)

(I got a Boston Legal for Christmas and I hate the way it plays - never thought I would get sick of the music).

I was fine until I accepted the upgrade. Now it tells me I have to buy a $29 driver to make it work. And it makes my DVDs unrecognizable: neither the PC nor the DVD recorder can "see" that a disk is in the slot. These are disks that worked before. It no longer gives me the option to format my choice with InCD (came with) and doing a straight copy just destroys the format of the "copy to" dvd. Fortunately the "from" drive cannot write to DVDs so it hasn't broken any of my masters.

I uninstalled the upgrade, the whole program, and reloaded. I started making my archives and it worked about three times. The PC was online at the time. (something told me to turn the router off but I didn't pay attention). Then it started breaking my DVD+Rs and even previously used DVD+RW's.

Another problem: I had a backup CD in the CD/RW drive while I ran a Norton antivirus check. It got ahold of my CD and corrupted the format, I think it deleted the first sector that defines the program that created it. It was either Nero (when it used to work) or One Care or Ghost. I have had so much problem restoring backups; when I have to do a destructive restore, it wipes the 'RESTORE POINTS' (sorry about the caps) and cannot/will not restore. The DVD that has my most recent, most needed stuff that worked for awhile, I could even access a file here and there from the backup copy) is needing some kind of wizz bang program to restore it. The files were not deleted, only the 0 partition. If they'd been deleted, maybe I'd have some luck.

All the freeware I found through Bleeping wants to get paid after doing the tease that it will do what I want for free. Sorry about the two problems in one post, any all ideas will be greatly appreciated as always.

Thank you :thumbsup:
"Restore an environmentally sustainable and economically just America"

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 PM

Posted 22 May 2007 - 02:08 AM

The problem with Nero is ( and I leanred this the hard way :thumbsup: ) is that after removing there still will be remnants left on the system giving conflicts of every sort. You need to do the following : ( that worked for me)

1) http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/Uninsta...ol-Bundle.shtml download this and run it in Safe Mode

2)Download install and update Ccleaner
Attention : the installation package comes with the Yahoo toolbar
if you do not want that you have to, untick the box accepting it during installation process.

After installing and updating go to options - advanced and tick prompt for registry back ups
Now Start up in safe mode
Do two runs

1) Click on problems and tick all. Click on analyse. At the end you will be prompted for storing a backup.
This will be stored, as a default, in My documents.
2) Click on cleaner click on analyse and accept all files to be removed.

Reboot re-install Nero and try again. After this we should look at the other problem.

#3 joygreen

joygreen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 242 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2007 - 03:09 PM

Fozzie, thank you for the swift reply. Unfortunately the Senate is busy bankrupting America with amnesty. Your instructions look very clear and are very well written. :thumbsup: I will let you know when I get it done. I am really housebound now. Got a positive TB test result which means I am infected but not contagious. Also have a terrible sinus infection and the doc wants to treat me to cure the TB infection so I don't get the disease, pass it along and and possibly die. My kids would be so pissed!

So you see, I have to fight with both houses of Congress, and I am going to write to stupid Mel Martinez who is spearheading this ridiculous law. I am going to ask him to finance my treatment since my social security disability is insufficient to cover the meds, and since illegals brought TB back into America and get free medical treatment, I think an American who has worked since age 14, and helped build American telecommunications (GTE now Verizon), that I deserve the same kind of help that an illegal gets.

#4 joygreen

joygreen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 242 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2007 - 09:57 PM

Hi all,

I downloaded the programs, and put them on my desktop in a folder with a copy of your instructions.

I've noticed this before, but i was always able to get done what I wanted to do.

When I logon normally, I have two accounts: "Owner" and "JMT".
When I logon in safe mode, I have these accounts: "Administrator" and JMT.

I always use Owner. It's the default. In safe mode, I can only get to "default user" which is "owner" if I click on JMT. But then I cannot get to my desktop, to the files I have created there.

This machine is hosed, and I need to send it back to e-machines, but I have never been able to restore most of my data and I am finding that the storage I bought offsite from my ISP loses the date saved on the filenames. The date saved is important to me, especially to track a "books" folder that holds my rants to the govt, and thoughts for a "novel".

Do you think it would be ok to start with only windows processes running? Or, to turn off the router? My PC thinks its on a lan, but I've never been able to access the other machine. I'd love to turn that setting off, so my win firewall would just show as "on" instead of "the administrator is controlling this". I am not a knowledgeable lan administrator, actually I am quite ignorant of the subject in spite of all Iv'e read about how to do it. There's even a great site out there, "painless networking" that I've used, but my machines do not respond as expected.

Any ideas? Thank you so much
Joy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users