Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hardware

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 oldbod

oldbod

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 AM

Posted 21 May 2007 - 05:42 PM

HI Everyone,
I am using a dialup modem taken from another computer,in a new build,but find that i have lost the installation disk.
so need to buy another modum. My question is, is there any other better alternative to a modum for making connection?
Broadband is no good in my area and anyway it is to expensive for me being retired and on a fixed income.
My Motherboard is a Asus A8N-VM CSM, Could someone enlighten a poor old ignoramus if they know of reasonably costly alteranatives ?
many thanks
jim

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 PM

Posted 21 May 2007 - 05:52 PM

I suspect that using a dialup modem will be your only logical low cost option, based on what you are saying.

I would ask, though - have you priced broadband in your area?

Here, both the cable folks, Brighthouse, and the DSL folks, Verizon, offer their lowest level service for less than AOL was costing people for Dialup - $23.96 at one time, If I remember correctly. (Or maybe it was $22.95, either way, $19.95 is less.)

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#3 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2007 - 05:53 PM

modem support with generic drivers is very good with windows xp?
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#4 oldbod

oldbod
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2007 - 03:57 PM

Thank you John Who & Da Chew,
The reception in this area of Newzealand for broadband connection is very bad,have been warned off by user neighbours who are still having to fall back on dialup.
Will try your suggested generic drivers Da Chew,if no success then will have to invest in a new modem.
Many thanks to you both
Jim.

#5 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,130 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2007 - 06:53 PM

Do you know what kind of modem it is.. We may be able to help find drivers for it. If you don't know what kind it is.. Post the FCC certificate number and I should be able to look it up. ( hopefully :thumbsup: )
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#6 oldbod

oldbod
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2007 - 10:18 PM

Sneakycyber, please excuse late reply, have tried twice but must have ticked wrong box on each occasion!! After trying 3 linux programs,i decided to install XP to test modem,guess what it worked first time. So have decided to use same until some boffin comes up with a Linux easy Install program.
Many thanks for your help.
Jim

#7 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2007 - 03:41 AM

now linux adds another problem, most newer modems are winmodems and I only know one company that wrote drivers for their model, ambient/intel chipset

hardware modems have support in linux
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users