Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Access Windows - Get Error Message - Seem Like I Tried Everything

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Simon Siegel

Simon Siegel

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:23 PM

Posted 21 May 2007 - 05:36 PM

Ok. Hopefully I give a complete explanation of the problem. If not, feel free to ask questions.

I was given a computer from my friend to debug. She said that her husband opened up an e-mail and downloaded a virus. Form then, they couldn't get into their XP pro.

It was receiving the BSOD with a "stop 0x0000007b" error message.

I wasn't able to get into Windows Pro without this message popping up during the initiallizing stage (with the windows logo and scrolling dots on bottom). I tried to install home on another partition, but the BSOD pops up during the initial setup stage.

I then formatted the HD using a wiping device on the UBCD. Trying to install again, got me nowhere. I then flashed the BIOS (I think I know how to do this, although, this was the first time), and formatted the HD and still have the BSOD.

Any other advice to be given. I assume, from my research, it's a bad sector or a boot sector virus. But, I can't do nothing to fix it.

Help! Also, it there anyway to check and confirm that it isn't a hardware issue.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wendy K. Walker

Wendy K. Walker

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  
  • Location:In The Treeline 300 Yards Behind You, Tracking Your Every Move Through A Sniper Scope
  • Local time:01:23 AM

Posted 21 May 2007 - 09:04 PM

Hi Simon Sigel,

My best advice would be for you to go to --> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/ and start reading at the top of the page and follow all of the instructions that you can if you can get online with that machine.

It doesn't sound like you can get it online though. Maybe just try posting this same post over in the Security section in the "Am I Infected? What do I do" forum might get you some help too Boo.

Good Luck,
Wendy
TRUST NO ONE...! EXCEPT For The Beloved Computer Geek Helping You In The MALWARE FORUMS.

Do Unto Others Before They Have A Chance To Do Unto You.

HP Pavilion 512n [Rescued from a pile of trash on the side of the road] 128 MB SDRAM, 60 GB Hard Drive, Windows XP, Home Edition, SP3, COMODO Anti Vitus and Firewall.

#3 Manudbull

Manudbull

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2007 - 09:42 PM

Hi Simon,
U could run chkdsk /r from the windows recovery console. And if u do not have dual boot system u run fixboot after chkdsk /r

Let me know if this did not take care of the issue.

#4 Simon Siegel

Simon Siegel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2007 - 11:45 PM

Hi Simon,
U could run chkdsk /r from the windows recovery console. And if u do not have dual boot system u run fixboot after chkdsk /r

Let me know if this did not take care of the issue.

Thanks for the reply.

I can't get into the recovery console. So, can't run chkdsk on the HD. :thumbsup: Any other suggestions? As I said, I the UBCD runs but any windows based operation (like UBCD for win or the Windows setup w/recover console) won't run.

So frustrating.

#5 Wendy K. Walker

Wendy K. Walker

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  
  • Location:In The Treeline 300 Yards Behind You, Tracking Your Every Move Through A Sniper Scope
  • Local time:01:23 AM

Posted 22 May 2007 - 12:26 AM

Hi Simon Siegel,

Is there anything in the BIOS settings that you could tinker with?

Wendy
TRUST NO ONE...! EXCEPT For The Beloved Computer Geek Helping You In The MALWARE FORUMS.

Do Unto Others Before They Have A Chance To Do Unto You.

HP Pavilion 512n [Rescued from a pile of trash on the side of the road] 128 MB SDRAM, 60 GB Hard Drive, Windows XP, Home Edition, SP3, COMODO Anti Vitus and Firewall.

#6 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,577 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 AM

Posted 22 May 2007 - 12:49 AM

I would test the hard drive and memory.

To test the hard drive go to the drive manufacturer's website and download their diagnostic tool, or use HDDScan.

To test the memory use Memtest86.

If both of these tests show up okay the next thing I would try would be to do a low-level format of the hard drive, partition it and then reinstall Windows.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 PM

Posted 22 May 2007 - 08:08 AM

If you can't get into Windows, then I'd suggest downloading a bootable diagnostic from the website of the hard drive manufacturer. While you're there, download a low-level formatting utility in case of a boot sector virus.

The error code (link here: http://aumha.org/a/stop.php#0x7b ) combined with the inability to install Windows says that there's likely a significant problem with the hard drive.

If the test shows the hard drive to be OK, then I'd use the low-level format to reinitialize the disk - then proceed with partitioning and formatting as usual.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users