Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Adding Ram

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Jesse Bassett

Jesse Bassett

• Members
  • 418 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:20 PM

Posted 21 May 2007 - 01:09 PM

hello,
I presently have 512mb. of RAM on my laptop and I have two 512mb. flashdrives. Is there a way I can use these flashdrives as additional RAM on my laptop? If so, how do I do this and would my laptop RAM size increase? I presently cannot afford to upgrade my laptop RAM as is, but have the flashdrives.

Hope I made sense,
Jesse
Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 l McAfee Total Protection l Super AntiSpyware Free Edition l AdAware SE Personal l Spyware Blaster l Spyware Guard l Safe Eyes 2007

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jwinathome

jwinathome

• Members
  • 1,360 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:20 PM

Posted 21 May 2007 - 01:11 PM

No, the two are completely different. Your flash drive is more like a Hard Drive if that helps you.

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2007 - 01:17 PM

You can use the ReadyBoost feature of Vista to help speed up your computer (if the flash drives meet the ReadyBoost standard). Insert them and click on the ReadyBoost feature when the autoplay dialog comes up. From my reading, this has shown a significant degree of improvement in systems with 512 mB of RAM.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 Jesse Bassett

Jesse Bassett
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 418 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2007 - 01:35 PM

You can use the ReadyBoost feature of Vista to help speed up your computer (if the flash drives meet the ReadyBoost standard). Insert them and click on the ReadyBoost feature when the autoplay dialog comes up. From my reading, this has shown a significant degree of improvement in systems with 512 mB of RAM.

Usasma,
If I do the readyboost feature and I go to System Properties, would I see a larger amount of RAM listed? I had a friend look at this issue previously and all Vista said was that I had 512mb. of Ram. And I had two flashdrives in my laptop with the ReadyBoost feature activated! It never acknowledged my flashdrives.... so what's up?

Thanks again.
Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 l McAfee Total Protection l Super AntiSpyware Free Edition l AdAware SE Personal l Spyware Blaster l Spyware Guard l Safe Eyes 2007

#5 jwinathome

jwinathome

• Members
  • 1,360 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2007 - 01:39 PM

I apologize for my response, I was not aware of this feature in Vista...

For a device to be compatible and useful it must conform to the following requirements:

* The capacity of the removable media must be at least 256 MB (250 after formatting)
* Devices larger than 4 GB will have only 4 GB used for ReadyBoost
* The device should have an access time of 1ms or less
* The device must be capable of 2.5 MB/s read speeds for 4 KB random reads spread uniformly across the entire device and 1.75 MB/s write speeds for 512 KB random writes spread uniformly across the device
* The device must have at least 235 MB of free space
* NTFS and FAT32 are supported
* The initial release of ReadyBoost supports one device

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2007 - 01:46 PM

No, it won't count as extra RAM - but it will speed up the system.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 Jesse Bassett

Jesse Bassett
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 418 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2007 - 01:56 PM

No, it won't count as extra RAM - but it will speed up the system.

Darn... guess I'll need to save my $$ to buy more RAM then. Say, here's a question-

I have a 75GB hard-drive, but when Vista was on it, it used about 20% of space. If I decided to put music on my laptop, would that slow the thing down?

Edited by Jesse Bassett, 21 May 2007 - 01:57 PM.

#8 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2007 - 03:22 PM

In general, no it wouldn't - but if there's a lot of fragmentation, then the more fragmented files you've got, the slower the system will be.

BTW - ReadyBoost is a good "stop gap" measure before buying more RAM. BTW - is it DDR or DDR2 RAM? Do you have any open slots?

#9 Jesse Bassett

Jesse Bassett
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 418 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2007 - 04:43 PM

The RAM card I have is a Sodimm PC2100 DDR Usasma. What do you mean by open slots?

#10 Wassim

Wassim

• Members
  • 376 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:20 AM

Posted 21 May 2007 - 04:48 PM

I suppose he means empty slots PCI where RAM cards can fit on.

Edited by Wassim, 21 May 2007 - 04:49 PM.

"Stuffy Hall Admin of the Typing Skills Enhancing School Program"

#11 Jesse Bassett

Jesse Bassett
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 418 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2007 - 04:51 PM

I suppose he means empty slots PCI where RAM cards can fit on.

And how would I check if I had an empty PCI slot?

#12 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2007 - 05:20 PM

since laptops are a little tricky to open and look in, take it in to a shop and get a quote

Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005

from your signature

this thread is in the windows vista forum

also ram does not reside in a pci slot, they use dimm slots
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#13 Jesse Bassett

Jesse Bassett
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 418 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2007 - 05:27 PM

this thread is in the windows vista forum

Its in the Vista forum because I am thinking of upgrading to Vista.... I presently have Windows XP MCE.....

#14 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2007 - 05:37 PM

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4181.html

this program will generate reports that give clues to upgrading computers
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#15 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2007 - 06:43 AM

Yep, laptops usually have 2 slots to populate with RAM. So, if you've got 2 - 256 mB chips installed, you'll have to pull one out to add more RAM. If you've only got 1 slot filled with a 512 mB chip, then you've got an open slot to put it in.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users