Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Motherboard And Cpu

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 skeeter395

skeeter395

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:29 PM

Posted 21 May 2007 - 01:08 PM

I am looking to upgrade both my motherboard and cpu. I have a compaq with motherboard

Board: ASUSTeK Computer INC. P4G533LA REV 1.xx
Bus Clock: 100 megahertz
BIOS: Award Software, Inc. 3.16 08/05/2003

and cpu

2.60 gigahertz Intel Celeron
8 kilobyte primary memory cache
128 kilobyte secondary memory cache

I would like to go to a duo processor. Can I do this upgrade without buying a new computer and if so any suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,072 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:29 PM

Posted 21 May 2007 - 01:45 PM

Most likely you won't be able to do this with a Compaq because of the proprietary nature of the parts. Give us the exact make and model of the Compaq so that we can check it out.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 skeeter395

skeeter395
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2007 - 02:35 PM

Compaq Presario 061 DM172A-ABA S5100NX NA310 0n41411RE101ECHO 10

Enclosure Type: Mini-Tower

Thanks for the fast reply.

#4 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,034 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2007 - 02:55 PM

Ok I have the computer on Compaq's website. It looks like you may be able to use your Hard drive, Your cdrom or DVD rom drive, and your modem.. Some Compaq computers use a proprietary Power supply So you may not be able to re-use your old one. So for the new parts you will need a Motherboard, Ram, Processor, power supply. And if the new motherboard doesn't include onboard video you will need a Video card too.

Edit: forgot the power supply

Edited by Sneakycyber, 21 May 2007 - 02:56 PM.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#5 skeeter395

skeeter395
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2007 - 03:04 PM

Thanks for the help. What should I look for in a motherboard like Socket number and such and can I go with amd or do I have to stay with intelfor a cpu. Thanks again for the help.

#6 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,034 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2007 - 03:29 PM

Depends on how much money you want to spend and what the computer will be used for.. AMD will be less expensive, And Intel core 2 duo processors are among the fastest processors available at the present time. If you need help deciding there is a chart that might help.. http://www23.tomshardware.com/cpu.html. As for what kind of motherboard you need it will depend on what processor you intend to get

Chad Mockensturm 

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,072 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2007 - 03:34 PM

Add a new case to that also.

For a Core 2 Duo processor, you'll need a socket 775 motherboard. But not all socket 775 motherboards will handle a Core 2 Duo - so read the specs before buying.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,034 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2007 - 03:35 PM

Woops your right I did miss the case :thumbsup:

Chad Mockensturm 

#9 skeeter395

skeeter395
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2007 - 04:39 PM

Ok I have narrowed down my options so I have one more question. the specs for the motherboard says IDE UDMA/33 or 66 or 100 and the other motherboard says IDE ATA/133 does this matter to me as I am running IDE cables.

#10 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:29 PM

Posted 21 May 2007 - 05:51 PM

you would be much better off to build a new box from scratch
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#11 skeeter395

skeeter395
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2007 - 06:11 PM

ya I am starting to see that. Thanks for all the help

#12 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,034 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2007 - 06:20 PM

What's the model of the new motherboard?

Edit: According to Research. If your HDD is Ultra DMA 33 it will work on a Motherboard that is Ultra ATA 133 But the drive will run at the slower speed. The cables are slightly different. Anything faster then ATA 33 requires the 80 conductor cable.

Note: ATA 33 is the same as Ultra DMA 33

Reference list:

http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/if/ide/conf_Cable80.htm

http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/if/ide/modesUDMA-c.html

Edited by Sneakycyber, 21 May 2007 - 06:36 PM.

Chad Mockensturm 

#13 skeeter395

skeeter395
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2007 - 07:45 PM

what if I can't find a case that matches the motherboard outputs do I just cut it out or what?

motherboard is: Abit IB9 Intel 965 Socket 775 Motherboard

case: Axpertec Inc
Xion II Mid-T

Edited by skeeter395, 21 May 2007 - 07:49 PM.

#14 usasma

usasma

• 25,072 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2007 - 08:36 AM

Most motherboards come with an "I/O panel" packaged with it. This panel will fit the "knockout" in the back of the case. Be careful tho' - I've messed up a few of them by knocking out too much. Carefully compare the knockout with the outputs on the mobo and with the panel that came with the mobo.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users