Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Important! New Pc

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 brucioli

brucioli

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:25 PM

Posted 21 May 2007 - 01:08 PM

Hey anyone who knows a lot more about PC's then me!!! Im looking to build a new PC and I really need to know if the parts I have chosen are compatible... this is the list
Casecom Black Midi Tower Case With Front Panel LCD - No PSU
NEC Optiarc AD-7170S-0B 18x DVD±RW/DL/RAM Serial ATA Black - OEM
Coolermaster eXtreme Power 380W PSU - ATX12V V2.01 20+4pin 1x PCI-E 2x SATA
Seagate 7200.10 320GB SATAII/300 8.5ms 7200RPM 16MB Cache
Seagate 80GB Barracuda SATAII 7200RPM 8MB Cache
BenQ FP92WA 19" widescreen TFT Monitor 1440x900 700:1 300cd/m2 5ms Silver & Black 3 Years Warranty
Sapphire X1950GT 256MB GDDR3 DVI-I TV Out PCI-E Graphics Card
Gigabyte M57SLi-S4 Socket AM2/nForce 570/4xDDR2 800/SATA II RAID /ATX
GeIL 2GB (2x1GB) PC6400C4 800MHz Ultra Low Latency DDR2 Dual Channel Kit (GX22GB6400UDC)
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ Socket AM2 2.5GHz

if anyone could help I would be forever appreciative :thumbsup: thanks
Brucioli

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,135 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2007 - 03:19 PM

The only thing I noticed is your getting an NVIDIA SLI motherboard why not go for an Nvidia Graphics card? Not sure on the memory I've never heard of that brand
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 brucioli

brucioli
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2007 - 04:47 PM

Firstly, is it necessary to have an NVIDIA graphics card with an NVIDIA SLI motherboard or is it just preferable/advantageous?
Also I was wondering if the PSU would be powerful enough to be sufficient for this setup? Is there anyway to check this/work it out?
Finally are most RAM modules compatible with most motherboards (btw I will change the RAM as I have read a few bad reviews for it).
Thanks for any help :thumbsup:
Brucioli

#4 Wassim

Wassim

• Members
  • 376 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:25 AM

Posted 21 May 2007 - 04:53 PM

I dont think its necessary, its advantageous i guess.
U would need more PSU power if u intend to use SLI in the future in my opinion, and yes most RAM are compatible with most boards, well at least all the known brands, but of course a DDR2 RAM wont work on a board supporting DDR and vice verca...

Edited by Wassim, 21 May 2007 - 04:57 PM.

"Stuffy Hall Admin of the Typing Skills Enhancing School Program"

#5 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:25 PM

Posted 21 May 2007 - 05:47 PM

NEC Optiarc AD-7170S

get a samsung or liteon, even an LG, nec went down the tubes with quality after the 3550

Seagate 7200.10 320GB

buy 2 and partition the boot drive, it will help with doing intensive operations from drive to drive with data
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#6 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2007 - 05:52 PM

For the psu, I'd get at least a 500W one with at least 20 amps on both +12V rails :thumbsup:

As for using an ATI card on an Nvidia board...not to sure about that-lemme see what I can dig up!

EDIT: I've found where using a mobo with Nvidia chipset and an ATI card is ok. I've also found where using Nvidi SLI mobo with an ATI crossfire card is bad. Now for the confusing part--> I didn't find where is said that one can't use Nvidia SLI with an ATI non-crossfire card. :huh: See the confusion? Personally, I'd be very hesitant to put an ATI card in a Nvidia board after reading that stuff. It would be my luck that it wouldn't work and I'd fry the board or the card, and be out that much money. While the card you picked isn't crossfire, I'd still be weary.

However, one annoying thing about these dual graphic card technologies is that, motherboards using Nvidia's N-Force chipset (for SLI) are incompatible with those using ATi's Xpress chipsets (Crossfire). In other words, you cannot use SLI cards on a ATi Crossfire motherboard, and vice versa. It seems that once you've chosen the motherboard that offers dual graphic card capabilities (either Nvidia or ATI), you'll have to stick to that path...

SOURCE

Let me see if I can't get some one to give a more definitive answer.

Edited by stevealmighty, 21 May 2007 - 06:39 PM.

War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#7 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,135 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2007 - 06:41 PM

Stevealmighty.. THG (Toms Hardware Guide) tackled that about a month ago. It doesn't prove advantageous to match chip sets to Graphics cards.. I Was just wondering if he was specifically getting an SLI board why he would be getting a graphics card that requires crossfire. If your only going to run one card it doesn't matter. Graphics cards are like processors theres inexpensive good ones and theres the top of the line that the competition will beat next quarter. I personally am Partial to Nvidia cards I have always used them and alot of my games (( MMORPG)) recommended them thats my opinion though.

Edit:changed wording

Edit 2: http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/04/04/doe...atching_matter/ here is the review

Edited by Sneakycyber, 21 May 2007 - 06:45 PM.

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#8 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2007 - 07:02 PM

Thanks for the reply and the link Sneakycyber! Clears up a lot for me :thumbsup:
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users