Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Not Starting

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 patsbroonzsox

patsbroonzsox

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 PM

Posted 21 May 2007 - 01:06 PM

Ok, my computer is custom built on a soyo kt880 dragon 2 board(raid 0), running windows xp pro, bfg geforce 7800gs oc, dial-up connection.

When I startup my computer everything is fine until windows attempts to load. Then a black screen comes up with a message about a recent hardware/software change possibly causing the problem and the options of starting in safe mode, safe mode with networking, safe mode with command prompt, last known good configuration, and start windows normally.

Over time I tried all six options all with the same result; the windows load screen appears, then soon as it reaches the point where the green loading bar should start moving, it switches to an unreadable blue screen for a millisecond, then restarts. I let it go for a whole night and I awoke the next morning to see it still going thru the same loop.

The person who built my computer installed xp pro on it without providing me with any OS disks. So in essence I'm just looking at what my options are for a recovery with losing as little info as possible. Regrettably I didnt make a backup disk or anything, and other sites provide only recovery info for computers that can load windows.

I'm very glad there are resources and helpful people available. Thanks for your time! Much <3!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jwinathome

jwinathome

• Members
  • 1,360 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 PM

Posted 21 May 2007 - 01:08 PM

Can you get into safe mode?

Did the computer ever load correctly?

#3 patsbroonzsox

patsbroonzsox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2007 - 01:11 PM

Can you get into safe mode?

Did the computer ever load correctly?

No, and no. Every option from the black screen just takes me to the blue screen and restarts my comp.

#4 jwinathome

jwinathome

• Members
  • 1,360 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2007 - 01:13 PM

So the person that built the computer for you gave you a computer that he didn't make sure worked before giving it to you?

You don't hear any system beeps when you first turn on the power? What size is your power supply?

#5 patsbroonzsox

patsbroonzsox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2007 - 01:18 PM

So the person that built the computer for you gave you a computer that he didn't make sure worked before giving it to you?

You don't hear any system beeps when you first turn on the power? What size is your power supply?

I got it back in Dec. '05, and it worked great up until a week ago. It beeps at the beginning of every restart, and my power supply is an Hp-350W.

#6 jwinathome

jwinathome

• Members
  • 1,360 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2007 - 01:21 PM

Silly question, but did you make ANY changes at all a week ago? Even any MS updates?

#7 patsbroonzsox

patsbroonzsox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2007 - 01:27 PM

Silly question, but did you make ANY changes at all a week ago? Even any MS updates?

I did attempt to download my gfx (bfg gedorce 7800gs oc)card's newest forceware update due to Diablo 2 freezing but the download was cancelled because my connection was either timed out or disconnected (unreliable dialup). Possibly the game freezing and my system problems are related.. hmm.. they happened less than 2 weeks apart.

#8 jwinathome

jwinathome

• Members
  • 1,360 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2007 - 01:30 PM

You are probably going to need the OS disk to boot into the recovery console and run some scans. Someone with a little more knowledge in this area should be able to help you. Hang in there.

#9 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2007 - 01:32 PM

Did one of the boot choices mention something about VGA or some other video mode? If it did, and that choice didn't work - then it's not likely to be your video card drivers.

I'd suggest trying to read the blue screen - but without recovery disks there's not much that you can do about this.

You can download a copy of BartPE or the Ultimate Boot CD (UBCD) to see if you can recover some of your data - but the end result is that you're going to need a copy of Windows in order to get the computer working again.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#10 patsbroonzsox

patsbroonzsox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2007 - 01:36 PM

You are probably going to need the OS disk to boot into the recovery console and run some scans. Someone with a little more knowledge in this area should be able to help you. Hang in there.

Do I need the exact disks used to install Windows on my cpu or will others work?

#11 jwinathome

jwinathome

• Members
  • 1,360 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2007 - 01:43 PM

Any XP CD (Home or Pro depending on what you have) will work as you are not putting in the key at this point. Or you can try the methods suggested above by Usasma.

#12 patsbroonzsox

patsbroonzsox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2007 - 02:00 PM

Ok, I'll check those out. Thanks a lot for your help! :thumbsup:

#13 jwinathome

jwinathome

• Members
  • 1,360 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2007 - 02:03 PM

Let us know what happens, or if you need further help.

#14 patsbroonzsox

patsbroonzsox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2007 - 06:28 PM

Let us know what happens, or if you need further help.

I downloaded BartPE, copied it to disk and put it in my computer but it didn't run anything. It did run a Gateway recovery disk which wasn't compatible with my computer (just to see what would happen) but for some reason this one didn't work. I'm no computer pro, so I assume I missed a step somewhere.

Edit: I tried switching around boot devices to boot from cd-rom but nothing happened.

Edited by patsbroonzsox, 21 May 2007 - 07:59 PM.

#15 patsbroonzsox

patsbroonzsox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2007 - 05:24 PM

Ok, I messed with my bios a bit and i got my computer to display a black screen after the windows loading screens that has a white box and shows all kinds of info like dxdiag would. What is this screen??

Another question, I somehow got my command prompt up one time, i dont know how but if anyone knows, that would be useful since I might be able to get my burned copy of bartPE to actually run from there.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users