Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Cd-rw Drive, Help

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Jacoby74

Jacoby74

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 PM

Posted 21 May 2007 - 11:53 AM

Ok, so I recently bought a new CD-RW drive but I dont know exactly how to replace it, or how to open my computer for that matter. any help you can give is greatly appreciated thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jwinathome

jwinathome

• Members
  • 1,360 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2007 - 12:19 PM

What kind of computer is it? Dell...HP...etc?

#3 Jacoby74

Jacoby74
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2007 - 12:20 PM

It's a Dell Dimension 2400

#4 jwinathome

jwinathome

• Members
  • 1,360 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2007 - 12:27 PM

To open it up...

Lay your computer on its side with the computer cover facing up.
6 If your computer cover has a cover latch, slide and hold the cover latch.
7 Grip the indents on the computer cover, and slide the computer cover toward the back of the
computer.

Now...are you installing this drive in addition to a preexisting drive? Are you replacing a drive? Be specific. Thanks!

#5 Jacoby74

Jacoby74
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2007 - 12:29 PM

I am completly replacing the drive

#6 jwinathome

jwinathome

• Members
  • 1,360 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2007 - 12:35 PM

Follow the instructions below....this is for ADDING a drive...however, before you put the one in, just remove the one you are replacing. As long as the computer is off, you really cannot hurt anything so don't worry about that. Just remove the cables from the back of the preexisting drive and remember which ones they were to plug into the new drive.

Remove the computer cover (see page 49).
6 Release and remove the front panel:

a Push the release lever to release the top tab.

b Reach inside the computer and push the bottom tab towards you to release it (the middle
tab releases automatically).

c Rotate the front panel to separate it from the side hinges.

7 Pull the two front-panel tabs towards you, and then push out the front-panel insert.

8 Ensure that the jumper setting on the new drive is set for "cable select" (see the
documentation that came with the drive for information).

9 Remove two extra alignment screws, shown in the illustration on page 62, from the front of
the computer and insert them into the drive.
NOTE: Some computers come with only two extra alignment screws; others come with four. You only
need two alignment screws for this procedure.

10 Gently slide the drive into place.

11 Once the drive is in place, apply pressure to ensure that the drive is fully seated.

12 Use the securing screw that came with the drive to attach the drive to the computer.
CAUTION: Match the colored strip on the cable with pin 1 on the drive (pin 1 is marked as "1").

13 Connect the power cable to the system board.

14 Locate the data cable from the CD or DVD drive in the upper drive bay and connect its
middle data connector to the new drive.

15 Check all cable connections, and then fold the cables out of the way to provide airflow for the
fan and cooling vents.

16 Reattach the front panel to the side hinges, and then rotate it until it snaps onto the front of
the computer.

17 Replace the computer cover (see page 68).

Edited by jwinathome, 21 May 2007 - 12:37 PM.

#7 Jacoby74

Jacoby74
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2007 - 08:47 PM

I'm still a little confused, I don't really see any part of cover that looks like it should come off.

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2007 - 08:46 AM

Here's a link to the web page for your system's manuals, the instructions will be in there and they usually have diagrams also: http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/syst...d_documentation
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users