Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Upgrade

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 evilmonkeyz

evilmonkeyz

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 PM

Posted 21 May 2007 - 10:19 AM

Ok, so over the last month I have done about 50 hours of overtime at work so I am going to put that to a significant computer upgrade. I just have a couple of questions.

I am thinking of getting an Intel core 2 Duo processor (probably the E6700). The thing is that I have an AMD at the moment so I will be doing a motherboard swap too. The motherboard I am thinking of is the Asus P5B Deluxe. Ok, here come the questions:

1) Is this a good motherboard and can anyone offer any alternative better ones?

2) At the moment I have a Geforce 7600gt, but will be wanting to upgrade in a few months to maybe a 8800GTX, will this board support it?

3) The board has an integrated sound card (like most), would it be worth getting a separate soundcard and do they offer any sort of performance upgrade? (MY pc is connected to about 1000 worth of hi-fi, but the hi-fi is a music hi-fi, so only has 2 speakers.)

4) I am going to be buying 2gb of RAM as I consider that to be a minimum for gaming, bearing in mind I am running Vista Ultimate, would it be worth getting 4gb?

Thanks in advance and sorry about all the questions. I built my computer myself so have a very good idea how things work, it's just the choosing and compatibility that is a bit challenging. :thumbsup:
If life gives you lemons you should make lemonade, then find a buddy that life gave him vodka and throw a party!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,073 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:04 PM

Posted 21 May 2007 - 01:40 PM

1) Yes, it's a good mobo, but I'm not real familiar with it.

2) Yes, it'll support it. But make sure that you've also got a power supply that will handle it.

3) If you want more sound options, I'd invest in a separate sound card.

4) 32 bit versions of Windows won't recognize the entire 4gB of RAM - on my system it was 3.25 gB when I had 4 gB installed.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 evilmonkeyz

evilmonkeyz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2007 - 02:13 PM

Thanks, I will hopefully be ordering the parts on Friday. I won't bother with more RAM then.

Cheers.

Josh

Edited by evilmonkeyz, 21 May 2007 - 03:10 PM.

If life gives you lemons you should make lemonade, then find a buddy that life gave him vodka and throw a party!!

#4 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,034 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:04 PM

Posted 21 May 2007 - 02:59 PM

Sounds like a great machine to me :thumbsup:

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#5 evilmonkeyz

evilmonkeyz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2007 - 03:08 PM

It hopefully will be, although I have the fight of getting my oem version of Vista on another pc. Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users