Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slow Start Up Process

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 janbas

janbas

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 AM

Posted 21 May 2007 - 09:51 AM

Hi

I have a problem:

I have Windows 2000 SP3.

After every time I restart my computer, I have to wait approximately 5-7 minutes before the desktop icons appear onscreen...

After the icons appeared, my computer works just fine...

I don't know what causes it... I guess it has something to do with the services that are running during the windows start up process...

When I log off and then log on again, the desktop icons appear immediately, so the problem occurs only after restarting or turning on the computer...

Please help

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,277 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 AM

Posted 23 May 2007 - 12:37 PM

If your system is slow, you may have too many applications loading at startup when Windows boots. Some of these programs are not needed and disabling them can save resources and improve performance.

Use a startup manager to check for any unnecessary applications that are loading when Windows boots. You will be provided with a list of programs that load when Windows starts. If you untick an entry it will no longer run at startup. This will allow you to experiment and see how your system performs with any of them disabled. Note: some startup programs are necessary so be careful what you disable.

If you are unsure what any of the startup entries are or if they are safe to disable, then search on Google or from the Startup Programs Database.

Startup managers you can download and use for free are Startup Control Panel, Autoruns and Starter by CodeStuff.

Also take a look at Windows 2000 Professional and Server Services Configuration 411.

Edited by quietman7, 23 May 2007 - 12:47 PM.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 janbas

janbas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 AM

Posted 26 May 2007 - 08:10 AM

I did as you said, and now the start up is much faster

But now i started experiencing another problem:

Very often I get an error message saying: "IEXPLORE created some errors and will be closed" and after that all open URLs shut down...

It's started happening just recently and very frequently

What could be causing this error and how can i get rid of it?

Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users