Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Open Folders

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Saskaja

Saskaja

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:33 AM

Posted 21 May 2007 - 07:15 AM

Hello!
I'm experiencing a problem with my computer, when I try to open my folders from the start menu, my computer or the control panel, they don't open but rather my start taskbar disappears for a few seconds, then comes back but some of the quick launch icons are missing. If I try to open the files through Windows Explorer the same thing happens. It's been happening for a while now - it seems to have started around the same time I downloaded a program or video file, I can't remember now :thumbsup: although I'm not certain that it's related. Should I paste my hijack this log? I hope somebody can help me!! Thanks <3 Saskaja

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2007 - 07:45 AM

Do your virus/spyware scans show up anything?
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 Saskaja

Saskaja
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2007 - 08:01 AM

Do your virus/spyware scans show up anything?

I ran my panda antivirus, windows defender and spybot. They only found spyware and they were removed but the problem still persists.

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2007 - 08:08 AM

Try Kelly's Korner.

Restore the Task Bar to Default Settings - #99 on the left.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 Saskaja

Saskaja
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2007 - 10:45 AM

Try Kelly's Korner.

Restore the Task Bar to Default Settings - #99 on the left.

I did it, but it's still the same :thumbsup:

I have to add that this problem occurs when I try to access folders from other areas ie the desktop. Also, the problem seems to disappear if I try to access the folders while the computer's starting up.

Edited by Saskaja, 21 May 2007 - 10:51 AM.

#6 Saskaja

Saskaja
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2007 - 08:24 AM

Nobody has any idea what this could be? :thumbsup:

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 AM

Posted 22 May 2007 - 08:30 AM

Nope, no idea. But presuming that the system isn't infected, the cure would be one of these:

1) Run SFC.EXE /SCANNOW from the Run dialog (more info here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/43051/how-to-use-sfcexe-to-repair-system-files/ )
2) Run a repair install of Windows (more info here: http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm )

This'll fix any errors associate with the operating system software. It won't fix hardware errors, nor will it fix errors caused by other programs that have been installed.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users