Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Start Menu -- All Programs

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 dpskala

dpskala

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 PM

Posted 21 May 2007 - 06:48 AM

Group: Members
Member No.: 130,004

I'm running XP Pro SP1 on a Dell 450 MHz machine, 576 MB memory, 40 GB System CD. I recently had to reinstall XP, and a lot of the listings in "Start Menu -- All Programs" disappeared. How does one put entries into that list? Also, I no longer have desktop links to My Computer, Network Stuff, C, and My Documents. Easy enough to get around by manually creating shortcuts, but a bit curious.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,577 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 AM

Posted 21 May 2007 - 06:52 AM

If you reinstalled the operating system then you need to reinstall all your programs before they will show up under All Programs. Also, get SP2. You're asking for trouble using SP1.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2007 - 07:02 AM

If you used the Dell Restore CD to restore the computer, there's usually a couple of other disks with Applications and Drivers on them - you'll have to install them also to get most of the OEM stuff back.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 dpskala

dpskala
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2007 - 08:22 AM

If you reinstalled the operating system then you need to reinstall all your programs before they will show up under All Programs. Also, get SP2. You're asking for trouble using SP1.

Thanks -- duly noted. But it seems to me that the list used to contain some items which didn't appear in the "add/remove programs" task.

#5 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,577 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 AM

Posted 21 May 2007 - 08:25 AM

How do I add and delete programs from the Windows START Menu
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users