Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Video And Audio Card Purchase Help

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 LIOTB

LIOTB

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 PM

Posted 21 May 2007 - 05:03 AM

Dear Anyone and Everyone,

I have a Compaq Deskpro EN PIII I need help to purchase graphic and sound cards. There is nothing in it now, but a minimum of graphics on board, but I was wondering how I can find out what cards are compatible or are all of them compatible? I just want something inexpensive. I would like to spend 100.00 max, but less if possible.

Thank you all for your help,

LIOTB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:58 PM

Posted 21 May 2007 - 07:38 AM

Most likely you'll be restricted to an AGP or PCI video card and a PCI sound card. But, to be sure, please let us know the exact model number of your Compaq so we can look the specs up.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 LIOTB

LIOTB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2007 - 10:39 PM

usasma,

Thank you for getting back with me so quickly. I am not sure if the information I have is acurate or not, but I will give you what I have. Let me know if there is anything else you need.

Deskpro EN CMT (ENC/P800/15e/6/256c)
Desktop PC D315

Once again, thank you for you time.

LIOTB

PS. Also, it is winXP

Edited by LIOTB, 21 May 2007 - 10:40 PM.

#4 LIOTB

LIOTB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2007 - 11:40 PM

Most likely you'll be restricted to an AGP or PCI video card and a PCI sound card. But, to be sure, please let us know the exact model number of your Compaq so we can look the specs up.

usasma,

Thank you for getting back with me so quickly. I am not sure if the information I have is acurate or not, but I will give you what I have. Let me know if there is anything else you need.

Deskpro EN CMT (ENC/P800/15e/6/256c)
Desktop PC D315

Once again, thank you for you time.

LIOTB

PS. Also, it is winXP

#5 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2007 - 08:57 AM

Here's a link for the technical specs of your system: http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechS...8_rev002_us.pdf

You'll need an AGP card that's capable of handling AGP 4x (the maximum that your system can run). FWIW - most AGP 8x cards are backwards compatible with the 4x standard. Also, you'll have to disable the onboard graphics in the BIOS when you install the card.

You've also got 3 PCI slots on the system - you'll have to check and see if any are free (the link above shows 2 free with the top one containing a NIC card. One of those will hold the sound card.

After that it's a matter of shopping around to get cards that you'll be happy with.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 LIOTB

LIOTB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2007 - 09:50 AM

Here's a link for the technical specs of your system: http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechS...8_rev002_us.pdf

You'll need an AGP card that's capable of handling AGP 4x (the maximum that your system can run). FWIW - most AGP 8x cards are backwards compatible with the 4x standard. Also, you'll have to disable the onboard graphics in the BIOS when you install the card.

You've also got 3 PCI slots on the system - you'll have to check and see if any are free (the link above shows 2 free with the top one containing a NIC card. One of those will hold the sound card.

After that it's a matter of shopping around to get cards that you'll be happy with.

John,

you are a life saver.

I hope you don't mind if I ask a few fallow up questions?

Does it matter that my computer does not look like the one in the picture in the document you sent to me?

When I disable the graphics in the BIOS I assume that it is before I install the graphics card? Further, when I install the sound card, will there need to be anything changed in the Bios, etc? (that will just be in the normal bios at start up, correct, just an options there)

Sometimes, I feel a burden when I come to places like this, but it is usually when I have depleted my search ability. Do you know place I can go to where I can read about questions such as I posted here.

John, I want to thank you for your time and efforts.

LIOTB

PS. what is FWIW

Edited by LIOTB, 22 May 2007 - 10:14 AM.

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2007 - 10:25 AM

I don't have a clue about the system looking like the one in the diagram. All I did was to search HP for the model number that you mentioned. Go to http://www.compaq.com and click on the link for downloads or drivers - then enter the information that it asks for (it'll have help to find the information there) so you can look up the exact computer model.

I suspect tho', that the model are very similar, so you shouldn't have any issues. As for the BIOS settings, here's the suggested sequence:

A( Go into the BIOS now and make sure you can locate the settings to disable the onboard graphics (and the onboard sound if it has it).
1) When you're ready, unplug the system and open the case
2) Install the cards
3) Put the cord to the monitor on the old video output in the computer.
4) Start the computer and immediately enter the BIOS
5) Change the settings to disable the onboard video and sound and save them.
6) Turn off the system, switch the monitor cable to the new video output on the computer and start the system.

Learning about computers is a lot of work (and a lot of reading). I'd suggest just visiting here and reading the posts - eventually you'll start to see how things work. Then you'll start posting, and pretty soon you won't be able to stop! That's how I got started in this! :thumbsup:

Just ask any questions you've got (even if it's questioning why we suggest a certain fix or procedure) and we'll do our best to let you know why. That's the true spirit of the online community!

Finally, I'll tell you what FWIW if you'll tell me what "LIOTB" means! :huh: Seriously, FWIW is "For What It's Worth" - sorta like IMO and FYI combined.

#8 LIOTB

LIOTB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2007 - 05:25 AM

usasma,

Wow! Thank you. I like it here it is has been a serendipitous experience. I have learned a lot already and you have been a great help. We need more people and places like this in the world.

I believe this answers all of my questions, on this subject, and I will do all as you have directed. And I will be back to visit.

Well, "LIOTB", that is to say... "logic is only the beginning."

It keeps me grounded when I am writing. It's sort of a pen name.

Once again, I am sincerely thankful for your help and so that you know, you have contributed to a charitable act...may you recieve likewise.

Gratefully,

LIOTB

[quote name='usasma' date='May 24 2007, 09:25 AM' post='529114']
I don't have a clue about the system looking like the one in the diagram. All I did was to search HP for the model number that you mentioned. Go to http://www.compaq.com and click on the link for downloads or drivers - then enter the information that it asks for (it'll have help to find the information there) so you can look up the exact computer model.

I suspect tho', that the model are very similar, so you shouldn't have any issues. As for the BIOS settings, here's the suggested sequence:

A( Go into the BIOS now and make sure you can locate the settings to disable the onboard graphics (and the onboard sound if it has it).
1) When you're ready, unplug the system and open the case
2) Install the cards
3) Put the cord to the monitor on the old video output in the computer.
4) Start the computer and immediately enter the BIOS
5) Change the settings to disable the onboard video and sound and save them.
6) Turn off the system, switch the monitor cable to the new video output on the computer and start the system.

Learning about computers is a lot of work (and a lot of reading). I'd suggest just visiting here and reading the posts - eventually you'll start to see how things work. Then you'll start posting, and pretty soon you won't be able to stop! That's how I got started in this! :thumbsup:

Just ask any questions you've got (even if it's questioning why we suggest a certain fix or procedure) and we'll do our best to let you know why. That's the true spirit of the online community!

Finally, I'll tell you what FWIW if you'll tell me what "LIOTB" means! :huh: Seriously, FWIW is "For What It's Worth" - sorta like IMO and FYI combined.

Edited by LIOTB, 25 May 2007 - 05:27 AM.

#9 LIOTB

LIOTB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2007 - 09:13 PM

John,

I hope this topic is still open and you get this. I hope you don't mind my shooting another question your way.

I have a question about getting the right graphics card for a motherboard. If I understand it correctly the three main questions are power supply, AGP/PCI, and the transfer rate. Other than that it should just work on the board? I hope this is not to noob of me.

Thank you for your help.

LIOTB

#10 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2007 - 06:55 AM

I'm not real sure about "transfer rate" - but having a powerful enough PSU is a requirment - as is making sure it'll fit in the slots on your motherboard. There are many different slots, but the most common are AGP, PCI, and PCI-Express (PCI-e). Video RAM is important also, depending on what you'll do with the card.

Easiest thing is to pick a board out and ask here for what type of video card will fit it (and how powerful a PSU you'll need).

#11 LIOTB

LIOTB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2009 - 12:23 AM

Thank you for your help. I would have gotten back to you sooner, but this place did not tell me here was an answer.

Thanks again,

LIOTB

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users