Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Multiple Graphics Cards

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 zim0n

zim0n

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 AM

Posted 21 May 2007 - 03:49 AM

I just spotted a computer with great specs, which will kick my old ones ass, but my old one is still good and i have done some modifications to it to keep it as new as possible, so here's the deal, i got a pretty new graphics card in my old comp, it's ati radeon x1600 pro 256mb, and in the new comp i spotted it's a nvidea geforce 7600GT 256mb, so can i place my old card in this new computer? is it even space for it?
an addon question: i also got some RAM, can i put this into the new machine and everything will work aswell?
thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 zim0n

zim0n
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2007 - 07:59 AM

anyone?

#3 dogslikeus

dogslikeus

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 AM

Posted 21 May 2007 - 08:15 AM

the RAM should work, provided they are the same type of RAM. if the newer computer supports DDR2 and you have DDR, or vice versa, you would be out of luck. just make sure they're the same type and you should be good to go.

as for the video card issue, no i don't believe that would work. SLI and crossfire (for nvidia and ati cards, respectively) exists but you have to have two of the same cards. since you have one from each, i don't think anything good would come from plugging the x1600 into it. you could always try if you have a free pciE slot, but i wouldn't recommend it. just figure out which card is faster and use that one.

hope this helps :thumbsup:

Edited by dogslikeus, 21 May 2007 - 08:16 AM.

#4 zim0n

zim0n
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2007 - 08:43 AM

that's what i feared, thank you!

#5 T

T

• Members
  • 305 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 AM

Posted 21 May 2007 - 01:57 PM

You can give the old graphics card to me! =D

Frankly, I would just get the new computer and keep the old one as it is. Never know when you want an extra rig to run linux and an ftp server or something. Run folding@home on it if you've got no other use for it!

Posted Image

#6 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,034 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 AM

Posted 21 May 2007 - 03:02 PM

Run folding@home on it if you've got no other use for it!

We can always use more folders :thumbsup:

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users