Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Usb Not Working

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Nigeld_58

Nigeld_58

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:23 PM

Posted 21 May 2007 - 03:12 AM

Good afternoon.

I am currently experiencing problems with the USB's on my computer. Whenever I plug a USB drive in it does not register as a drive in Windows Explorer. However I know the drive is connected because I get the default sound from the computer when I connect it.

I am able to access the drive via Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Computer Management > Disk Management. The drive appears along with the Hard Drive. When I place the mouse over the drive and right click > Change Drive Letter and Paths I can add or Change the Drive Letter. However even after doing this it is still not visible in windows explorer.

I can access information on the USB drive if I place the mouse over the drive and right click on either open or explore. After doing this the contents of the drive will open in a separate window and I can cut and paste files onto / from the drive. If I create a new directory using this option I am unable to include spaces, etc in the folder name. Similar to the old DOS rules.

I am unable to access the drive using the DOS prompt.

The drive does appear under the Safely Remove Hardware icon on the bottom right of the screen.

I recently replaced my motherboard and CPU. I don't know whether it has anything to do with that. I thought I may have changed a BIOS setting perhaps.

I very much appreciate any assistance you may have regarding this problem.

I am currently studying and never realised just how much I rely on my USB drives to transfer info between my home computer, my work computer and the Uni computers, etc.

Once again thanks.

PS I am a bit of a jubii when it comes to computers.

Cheers
Nigel.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 zim0n

zim0n

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 PM

Posted 21 May 2007 - 05:52 AM

get a hold of your operationg system cd, put ut in, boot on cd, choose E or R for the repair option, then you will meet a command line tool, type in 1 and hit enter if you haven't done that yet, then type chkdsk -p, this may take a while, when it's done type exit and hit enter and let computer boot normally and see if it heloed(how on earth did i get that?! :thumbsup: ) i mean to see if it works

Edited by zim0n, 21 May 2007 - 05:53 AM.

#3 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 PM

Posted 21 May 2007 - 06:01 AM

Windows XP or Windows Server 2003 does not detect your new USB device
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#4 Nigeld_58

Nigeld_58
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2007 - 02:54 AM

get a hold of your operationg system cd, put ut in, boot on cd, choose E or R for the repair option, then you will meet a command line tool, type in 1 and hit enter if you haven't done that yet, then type chkdsk -p, this may take a while, when it's done type exit and hit enter and let computer boot normally and see if it heloed(how on earth did i get that?! :thumbsup: ) i mean to see if it works

Thanks for that Zimon.

Your advice is really appreciated.

I will have a crack at trying to fix it over the weekend.

Cheers
Nigeld

#5 Nigeld_58

Nigeld_58
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2007 - 02:56 AM

Windows XP or Windows Server 2003 does not detect your new USB device

Thanks Budapest.

This also sounds good.

I will have a crack at trying to fix it over the weekend.

I am currently inundated with assignments so I don't have time right now.

Anyway once again thanks, I really appreciate you responding.

Cheers mate
NigelD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users