Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Beware:cure Worse Than Disease

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 sallyb

sallyb

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:03 AM

Posted 21 May 2007 - 01:48 AM

I bought a used computer at pawn shop...which is Dell pentium 4 using win 2000. I thought I would update from win 98.

Anyway, I bought a piece of cr-ap software called PC-CILLIN, which the clerks at Freys said was great stuff...NOT. It did manage to find 2 items of malware. I deleted those items. But all of a sudden, I had a number of other software outfits trying to get my business - and they showed I had about 60-90 other stuff that needed to be deleted. That, if I bought their programs all the bad stuff would be removed. I didnt seek these companies but they appeared on my computer uninvited. They are as follows:

1. Dr Anti-spy

2. system doctor

3.drive cleaner &winantivirus pro 2007

I gave my credit card to Nos 2 and 3 but then never got any downloadable program to run. Am I ripped off? However, the worse of all is that damn Dr antispy.

This dr anti-spy floods my computer with its pages AND I CANNOT DELETE IT. This scam is worse that the viruses and spyware. Can anyone advise how to get rid of it???

Also old enemy, "about blank" is back and took over my home page. I used to eliminate this with ad-aware but not now. Your advise appreciated. Thanks Sally

Moved from the Windows 2000\2003 Forum. ~acklan~

Edited by acklan, 25 May 2007 - 07:11 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:03 PM

Posted 21 May 2007 - 04:43 AM

How To Remove Systemdoctor 2006

How To Remove Drivecleaner 2006 (removal Instructions)

After that :

Download and scan with SUPERAntiSypware Free for Home Users
  • Double-click SUPERAntiSypware.exe and use the default settings for installation.
  • An icon will be created on your desktop. Double-click that icon to launch the program.
  • If asked to update the program definitions, click "Yes". If not, update the definitions before scanning by selecting "Check for Updates". (If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download and unzip them from here.)
  • Under "Configuration and Preferences", click the Preferences button.
  • Click the Scanning Control tab.
  • Under Scanner Options make sure the following are checked (leave all others unchecked):
    • Close browsers before scanning.
    • Scan for tracking cookies.
    • Terminate memory threats before quarantining.
  • Click the "Close" button to leave the control center screen.
  • Back on the main screen, under "Scan for Harmful Software" click Scan your computer.
  • On the left, make sure you check C:\Fixed Drive.
  • On the right, under "Complete Scan", choose Perform Complete Scan.
  • Click "Next" to start the scan. Please be patient while it scans your computer.
  • After the scan is complete, a Scan Summary box will appear with potentially harmful items that were detected. Click "OK".
  • Make sure everything has a checkmark next to it and click "Next".
  • A notification will appear that "Quarantine and Removal is Complete". Click "OK" and then click the "Finish" button to return to the main menu.
  • If asked if you want to reboot, click "Yes".
  • To retrieve the removal information after reboot, launch SUPERAntispyware again.
    • Click Preferences, then click the Statistics/Logs tab.
    • Under Scanner Logs, double-click SUPERAntiSpyware Scan Log.
    • If there are several logs, click the current dated log and press View log. A text file will open in your default text editor.
    • Please copy and paste the Scan Log results in your next reply.
  • Click Close to exit the program.

#3 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 AM

Posted 21 May 2007 - 07:52 AM

Hey sallyb -

Trend Micro's Pc-cillin is an Anti-virus program only, unless you bought Trend Micro's Internet Suite.

The "clerks at Freys" should have told you that you'll also need anti-spyware and a firewall, among other things.

It sounds like one of the reasons that PC was in the pawn shop is because it had virus and spyware problems.

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#4 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 PM

Posted 24 May 2007 - 05:30 PM

I bought a used computer at pawn shop...which is Dell pentium 4 using win 2000. I thought I would update from win 98.

Anyway, I bought a piece of cr-ap software called PC-CILLIN, which the clerks at Freys said was great stuff...NOT. It did manage to find 2 items of malware. I deleted those items. But all of a sudden, I had a number of other software outfits trying to get my business - and they showed I had about 60-90 other stuff that needed to be deleted. That, if I bought their programs all the bad stuff would be removed. I didnt seek these companies but they appeared on my computer uninvited. They are as follows:

1. Dr Anti-spy

2. system doctor

3.drive cleaner &winantivirus pro 2007

I gave my credit card to Nos 2 and 3 but then never got any downloadable program to run. Am I ripped off? However, the worse of all is that damn Dr antispy.

This dr anti-spy floods my computer with its pages AND I CANNOT DELETE IT. This scam is worse that the viruses and spyware. Can anyone advise how to get rid of it???

Also old enemy, "about blank" is back and took over my home page. I used to eliminate this with ad-aware but not now. Your advise appreciated. Thanks Sally

Follow the above steps and you will get your PC back in order but as for giving out your credit card details these are people that prey on the unknowing
so contact your finacial institution if they try to use it or even worse sell your card details to someone else. And yes Ive been stung b4 too!
MCP
MSDST

#5 madman6510

madman6510

• Members
  • 384 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:03 AM

Posted 07 June 2007 - 09:33 PM

Because you got it used, why don't you format the drive and reinstall Windows?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users