Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Missing Disk Space

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 dpskala

dpskala

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:11 PM

Posted 20 May 2007 - 10:15 PM

I'm running XP Pro SP1 on a Dell 450 MHz machine, 576 MB memory, 40 GB System CD. When I look at the properties of my system drive (C:), it tells me I'm using 13.2 GB; yet when I add up the sizes of the dirs/files in C:, they only add up to about 9 GB. Where is the missing 4 GB?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 PM

Posted 20 May 2007 - 10:56 PM

Are you counting the System, and hidden files?
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Ronbo

Ronbo

• Members
  • 333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:11 PM

Posted 20 May 2007 - 11:18 PM

Hi dpskala, :thumbsup: to BC

The amount missing kind of seems like it might be the system restore files. They are set to 10 or 12% by default.
There is no justice, there is just us.

#4 dpskala

dpskala
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2007 - 11:49 PM

Are you counting the System, and hidden files?

Well I did add in the C:\WINDOWS space. I forgot to mention in my post that I had just done a full disk cleanup. What files are hidden, and how can you see them?

#5 dpskala

dpskala
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2007 - 11:54 PM

Hi dpskala, :thumbsup: to BC

The amount missing kind of seems like it might be the system restore files. They are set to 10 or 12% by default.

Yeah, that could be. I installed about 16 Microsoft patches, and restore gives me a line for each one, like there is a separate file created after each patch.

#6 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 PM

Posted 21 May 2007 - 12:20 AM

What files are hidden, and how can you see them?

1. Close all programs so that you are at your desktop.
2. Double-click on the "My Computer" icon.
3. Select the "Tools" menu, and click "Folder Options".
4. After the new window appears, select the "View" tab.
5. Under the "Hidden files and folders" section, select the radio button labeled, "Show hidden files and folders".
6. Remove the checkmark from the checkbox labeled, "Hide file extensions for known file types".
7. Remove the checkmark from the checkbox labeled, "Hide protected operating system files".
8. Click the "Apply" button, then the "OK" button, and exit My Computer.
9. Now your computer is configured, to show all hidden files.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#7 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 AM

Posted 21 May 2007 - 12:54 AM

Check out SequoiaView, it will let you see what is taking up the space on your HDD.

SequoiaView uses a visualization technique called cushion treemaps to provide you with a single picture of the entire contents of your hard drive

The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#8 dpskala

dpskala
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2007 - 05:25 AM

Check out SequoiaView, it will let you see what is taking up the space on your HDD.

SequoiaView uses a visualization technique called cushion treemaps to provide you with a single picture of the entire contents of your hard drive

Thanks -- I just downloaded it. Looks pretty useful. I'll give it a try this morning.

#9 dpskala

dpskala
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2007 - 06:36 AM

What files are hidden, and how can you see them?

1. Close all programs so that you are at your desktop.
2. Double-click on the "My Computer" icon.
3. Select the "Tools" menu, and click "Folder Options".
4. After the new window appears, select the "View" tab.
5. Under the "Hidden files and folders" section, select the radio button labeled, "Show hidden files and folders".
6. Remove the checkmark from the checkbox labeled, "Hide file extensions for known file types".
7. Remove the checkmark from the checkbox labeled, "Hide protected operating system files".
8. Click the "Apply" button, then the "OK" button, and exit My Computer.
9. Now your computer is configured, to show all hidden files.

OK, thanks. I did that, but the totals under 'Properties' do not change, and the sum of the folder sizes still is somewhat less than that of C:. Someone suggested to remove old restore points, which I did. That removed almost 1 GB, which leaves me with only about 1 GB unaccounted for now. A bit of weirdness here -- when I did the restore point removal, It hung up and became unresponsive. I had to kill it with Task Manager. I ran system restore to check on the restore points, and they are apparently gone. Only the most recent one shows. But my formerly FAT32 file system on C: has been magically converted to NTFS!

#10 Qdon

Qdon

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2007 - 10:40 PM

If you are using FAT32, you may have some of the disk in 'overhang.' This occurs when a file doesn't fill a sector completely, but the rest of the sector is removed from available space.

#11 dpskala

dpskala
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2007 - 06:16 AM

Nope, using NTFS. Something I did along the way auto-converted me from FAT32, which I don't mind. Some of the missing space was used in Windows restore points. They apparently use a fair amount of disk space. Dunno where the rest of it is.

#12 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 AM

Posted 22 May 2007 - 06:37 AM

The missing space may be taken up by the MFT Zone. See this article for more information.

I also note that in your first post you said you had SP1. You should upgrade to SP2, otherwise you're asking for trouble.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#13 dpskala

dpskala
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2007 - 07:55 AM

The missing space may be taken up by the MFT Zone. See this article for more information.

I also note that in your first post you said you had SP1. You should upgrade to SP2, otherwise you're asking for trouble.

Done!

#14 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2007 - 08:27 AM

2 other major files on the system (dunno if you've seen them in your searches) are pagefile.sys (your pagefile - it's roughly 1.5 times the size of your RAM) and hiberfil.sys (the saved file when the system hibernates). Both can be well over 1 gB in size.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#15 dpskala

dpskala
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2007 - 01:43 PM

2 other major files on the system (dunno if you've seen them in your searches) are pagefile.sys (your pagefile - it's roughly 1.5 times the size of your RAM) and hiberfil.sys (the saved file when the system hibernates). Both can be well over 1 gB in size.

No I haven't. These are quite a surprise to someone whose first hard drive was 20 MB.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users