Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Stop Message C000021a

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 SkratRadder

SkratRadder

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:43 AM

Posted 20 May 2007 - 09:27 PM

Dell
Win xp home, sp2
1gb Ram
2.66ghz
160gb hd

Recieved stop message c000021A fatal system error. The system Manager initialization system process terminated unexpectedly with a status of 0xc0000022, after running smitfraud in safe mode. Ran Dell diagnostics and got
Error Code 0f00:0244
msg: block 268379318: unreadable/protected

Error Code 0f00:1A44
msg: block 268379319

One of them came up twice. I don't remember which one. When i searched for this error message, the only results i have found have 1 or two parts of the error message, which the result was usually replace hd. I lost my recovery disks. I was thinking that i may be able to run a system recovery and then backup the data, format, reinstall windows. Or if that didn't work then put the hd in another computer and run it as a slave and get the data from there. Or just buy a new hd and vista, but i am unsure about where i could find a system recovery disk. Is it manufacturer based? I have an hp xp recovery disk. And if i replaced the hd and got a new os, would i need to reload all of the drivers?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 PM

Posted 21 May 2007 - 12:33 AM

You should contact Dell about getting some new recovery disks. They normally only charge the shipping costs.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 AM

Posted 21 May 2007 - 06:39 AM

Here's a link to the STOP error: http://aumha.org/a/stop.php#0x21a

And here's another one: http://www.osronline.com/ddkx/ddtools/bccodes_45uv.htm

Can you get into Windows on that system? If so, you can try and delete any recently installed software/drivers to see if this frees it up. One common cause of this type of error is malware - if you can run a scan on the system I'd suggest that also. Here's a free, online scan: http://safety.live.com

A STOP error like this isn't typically indicative of a hard drive failing, but rather it's a software issue that needs to be resolved before Windows will allow itself to run. Unfortunately without knowing exactly what's causing the software problem, it's difficult to fix it without drastic measures (such as a system restore). Replacing the hard drive will fix it tho' - because you'll have to reinstall the OS on the new hard drive, thereby bypassing the software issues with the old installation.

FWIW - you can download a bootable hard drive diagnostic from the website of the hard drive manufacturer and boot from it to test your hard drive without using Windows.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 SkratRadder

SkratRadder
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2007 - 03:16 PM

i can't get onto the os. My warranty or whatever ran out with dell, will they still send the disk to me?

Like i said, i was able to find two parts of the stop error, but i guess i must have left out the part that i wasn't finding. If i buy a new hd and new os will it work with all the same ram and everything? or will i have to get the drivers for that as well? My recovery disks and win xp disks were lost so i don't have any current copies, and i didn't find anything on the dell site to purchase them.

#5 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 PM

Posted 23 May 2007 - 12:16 AM

See this link regarding Dell recovery disks.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#6 Baloo

Baloo

• Members
  • 243 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 AM

Posted 23 May 2007 - 09:47 AM

After readign the stop error closely I noticed that it mentioned smitfraud. I think that smitfraud is either a virus or malware since I noticed a couple of posts here that mention removing it. Correct me if I am wrong.
When life hands you lemons squeeze the lemon juice right in his eye!

#7 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,618 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 AM

Posted 23 May 2007 - 08:19 PM

Hi SkratRadder,

Did you download SmifraudFix recently? There was a buggy version that locks you out of the File System around the middle of April. The error code was different than what you mention tho. Did you get any mention of "autochk not found" in the errors?

Looking at the links to the error codes usasma linked to this may be a different problem tho. SmitfraudFix has a user mode rootkit scanner but I believe it only scans, doesn't attempt to remove. Some infections now are patching, or adding to system files such as winlogon.exe.

There is a link to a fix for the autochk not found error, but it is not easy. First please let me know when you downloaded SmitfraudFix and I'll notify the developer to see if we can find if it is a bug or not. Probably a reformat and reinstall would be the best option for you at this point.

To answer your question, I would try reinstalling the operating system before replacing the hard drive. Ram doesn't need any drivers. But I believe Dell is proprietary about the other devices so you really need to get with them to find out how to replace the OS. As far as I know.

The thing about people

is they change

when they walk away.--Mipso

#8 SkratRadder

SkratRadder
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2007 - 05:28 PM

Yeah, it was smitfraudfix that i ran. I ran it in safe mode, then when i removed the problems and rebooted was when it came up to the stop message. It does come up with the autocheck.

Thanks for your help
Crat

#9 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,618 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2007 - 09:45 PM

OK, here is the link to how to fix the problem:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/89339/problems-starting-your-computer-after-running-older-version-of-smitfraudfix/

Like I said it's not easy. Because you are dealing with the NTFS File System, not the Operating System. Look it over and let us know which method you want to try and I'll help you with it as much as I can. It's not an area I'm strong in tho.

I still would like to know when you downloaded SmitfraudFix--the version number if you can remember. That bug was promptly fixed, so it is important for us to know if it is the bug from the older version or something new. FYI, new versions of the Zlob hijackers that SmithfraudFix targets comes out daily so the tool is constantly being updated. So when you go to fix an infection it is better to download a fresh copy to get the latest detection and removal.

The thing about people

is they change

#10 SkratRadder

SkratRadder
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2007 - 02:14 PM

I have an old hd with xp on it. Do you think i could put that in as the primary on that computer, extract the files i want out of the slave drive(the one with the errors) then just take the other one out and reinstall windows? i do tech support, so i won't have any problems doing what the instructions say.

Thanks for the link to get the cds from dell

#11 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,618 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2007 - 04:59 PM

Sure that should work. You just need a bootable copy of Windows to get read and write access to the affected windows installation. You could try fixing the old installtion first according to the instructions I linked you to and if that doesn't work back up the important data onto the drive with the working installation.

Let us know how it goes, please.

The thing about people

is they change

#12 SkratRadder

SkratRadder
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2007 - 02:26 PM

so as it turns out the hd i had was ruined during the move, i have already recieved the disks from dell though and i have another hd to grab the files i want. But since the other fix takes a lot of work, when the easiest route would be a second hd and xp recovery disk. I don't remember if the second hd was required for the fix you listed, but either way re-adding the permissions and installing windows to different folder seems to be a harder way to do something with the same materials. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks

Crat

#13 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,618 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2007 - 07:25 PM

Installing Windows in another folder isn't required for the fix--if you choose one of the other methods.

The main thing you want to do is get Windows to boot so you will have full read and write access to the installation of Windows that has been locked. As far as I know the only way to do that is to use a second installation of Windows. You only need to choose one of these three options for getting that access.

1. Install Windows in another folder.
2. Install Windows on a second hard drive of the affected machine. You would have to switch your master and slave settings around.
3. Take the affected hard drive out of the machine it is in and slave it to a second machine that already has XP installed that is bootable.

Then you would fix the permissions. You essentilaly have to do the same thing to access the files to transfer over to a fresh installation, so it might be worth a shot to give the permission fix a try. If it doesn't work then you are already set up to transfer your files over to a new install.

If it does work the drawback is you will have to start over at the cleanup of the infection. Depending on how long the computer had been infected and gone without being reformatted, as you say, seting up a new fresh install would probably be the better way to go. Is what I would do.

I think they tried one of those bootable repair CD's but I don't remember if it worked and if it did getting it set up was pretty complicated. There is a version of Linux that can read NTSF but doesn't write to it correctly.

The thing about people

is they change

#14 SkratRadder

SkratRadder
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2007 - 06:51 PM

i needed to get the computer back up more than i needed the files on it, format and reinstall, no problems, especially since most of the data i cared about was already backed up.

Thanks for your help
Crat

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users