Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot Boot Original Hd After Cable Swapping

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Alchemist

Alchemist

• Members
  • 174 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 AM

Posted 20 May 2007 - 08:40 PM

I used my 'spare' PC to setup my new HDs, writing the partitions with a GpartEd live CD. Everything seemed to work fine while doing this. I turned the machine off and physically unplugged it before disconnecting and reconnecting cables. After doing this, and carefully reconnecting the cable to the installed HD with a Windows XP install, I tried to start the system in its original configuration. It starts to boot XP, but only gets part way into it and does a hardware boot. Black screen, POST Beep, BIOS screens, etc., and then tries to load XP again. XP notices this and gives the 'System didn't start properly' options screen. But NONE of the options work. Normal boot doesn't, of course. Safe mode doesn't either. Last known good config doesn't either. I managed to boot from the original CD and enter the recovery console. The system is accessible but nothing I can think to do fixes the problem. Turning on boot logging doesn't work. It gets killed too fast by whatever the error is. Since the drive was (and still seems to be) fine, I am wondering if I somehow damaged the cable by connecting it to several HDs in succession. The HD access light on the front of the case comes ON when the machine powers up, and stays on until booting actually begins. Not normal. When it boots from the CD, the light goes out and then flickers normally when the drive is accessed.

Does this look like a hardware failure in the MB or the drive? Or could it be a BIOS setting messed with by GPartEd? (I thought GPartEd was safe?)
Or (I hope) could it be the cable?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Alchemist

Alchemist
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 174 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2007 - 03:30 PM

This is a Tyan S1854 (Trinity 400) motherboard with a 700 Mhz Celeron CPU and 512 Mib or SDRAM. Connected is/was a WD153BA HD on the primary IDE channel and two CD drives on the secondary channel. It can be booted from the master CD drive, and then recovery console is possible. Unfortunately, nothing that can be done from Recovery Console helps. It gets to 'MuP.sys" or "MvP.sys" (hard to tell a the rate things scroll) and then does a hard reboot. It's probably the very next step that kills it. How can I find out what part of the boot sequence this is and where the error is occurring?

Setting the master jumper on the HD makes the system UNABLE to recognize the drive at all... !? Downloading the WD diagnostic diskette utility and creating one, I find that the drive tests out fine. Replacing the cable makes no difference. It looks like the MB itself has got the problem. Weird that it functions well enough to diagnose the drive, and lets XP try to boot, but just causes it to crash like that. Would a CMOS lobotomy possible help? Is there such a thing as a 'freeware' hardware diagnostic utility that could test my IDE controller and see if it's healthy, and/or figure out what is broken?

Are IDE controller cards still made? Can they be obtained for cheap? Do they cost much performance relative to the usual onboard/integrated IDE controller?

Edited by Alchemist, 22 May 2007 - 12:54 AM.

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2007 - 03:36 PM

Seagate's SeaTools offers a hard drive controller test (dunno if it'll run on a system without a Seagate drive tho').

Unplug the system, remove the CMOS battery, wait 30 minutes, replace the battery, plug it back in and test.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 Alchemist

Alchemist
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 174 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2007 - 01:06 PM

Seagate's SeaTools offers a hard drive controller test (dunno if it'll run on a system without a Seagate drive tho').

Unplug the system, remove the CMOS battery, wait 30 minutes, replace the battery, plug it back in and test.

After leaving it set 'disabled' all day (I removed the battery & then got distracted) I powered it up again and immediately saw that nothing had changed. The HD light was still on continuously. Anyway, I re-entered important BIOS info and then tried to boot WinXP. Same old crash. Frustrating. Then I booted from a Knoppix CD. It was possible to access the HD, and it was fun messing with Knoppix, but I was unable to burn some files I'd like to save for some reason. Errors prevent the actual burn operation. Good thing I had backed up the really important stuff before I tinkered with that machine. What's really bizarre is that the controller works fine for accessing the disk. It's just something that WinXP is trying to do when booting as master that it can't handle anymore.

Searching on eBay I see there are hordes of PCI controller cards out there. And for cheap. So that looks like the best way to go to fix this. But never having shopped for these before I have no idea which ones are 'good'. Since integrated IDE is so universal I can't recall ever seeing a review of a controller card. Only video cards. Is there a guide somewhere?

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2007 - 10:41 AM

I'd suggest a google search for "pci controller review" and then stick with the major brand names.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2007 - 11:01 AM

Not familiar with your procedure for setting up the partitions but I have had a similar problem when I used windows xp in a machine and disk management to set up a new drive or redo an old one. I would load data in a data partition, put the drive in another computer and load windows.

I finally found out what I was doing wrong, windows would load fine but never boot, I had not been setting the primary partition active
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users