Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Missing Files ?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Jove

Jove

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 AM

Posted 20 May 2007 - 07:29 PM

About three weeks ago I had a huge trojan corruption going on in my PC,

previous to a restore, using disc I had been saving files on my laptop Presario 1272 Notebook,

after the restore I went to put my files back on the PC and noticed there was stuff missing, how or why I can not tell you at this time, but today I am looking for my note pad labeled passwords it's gone, so I went to the notebook, and it was not there either, I am positive that it was there.

Is there a way to check the hard drive to recover lost files ?

I have heard that there is but I never thought that any thing like this would happen, do to the use of my notebook as a safety net.
I did a systems restore on the desk top this will probably be little help for missing files since it was probably wiped clean, but if I can manually get into the notebook, it isn't set up to go on line.

I will appreciate your help, . .

Jove

When you don't have to worry about your computer anymore, you can start
living again !

vrwqzc.gif
Success is a result, not a goal. . . . Flaubert

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Commander Gman

Commander Gman

• Members
  • 1,214 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 PM

Posted 20 May 2007 - 07:53 PM

Just a though in my mind
Try Recovery Softwares
(Pls. also check if it is compatible with windows 98)

http://www.recuva.com/ -Piriform,Recuva

using disc I had been saving files

Did it had the sufficient space for the files to be stored?
Did anything happened wrong during the burning process?

Edited by Commander Gman, 20 May 2007 - 07:54 PM.

Motherboard: MSI P35 Neo-F (Socket 775 LGA) Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.40 Ghz Kentsfield Chipset: Intel P35 Graphics Card: Nvidia Geforce GT 440 Memory: 2x 2GB DDR2 800 RAM Storage: 1x IDE 80GB, 1x SATA II 500 GB, 1x External 500GB HD Power Supply: 600W Power supply Monitor: Dual screen set-up Casing: Mini-ATX Fan(s): 1x 80mm silent fan OS: Windows XP SP3

#3 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2007 - 11:23 AM

Just a though in my mind
Try Recovery Softwares
(Pls. also check if it is compatible with windows 98)

http://www.recuva.com/ -Piriform,Recuva

using disc I had been saving files

Did it had the sufficient space for the files to be stored?
Did anything happened wrong during the burning process?

I will look into Recovery Software, but I was under the impression that one could somehow access the
system manually to see what has been deleted or otherwise lost.

If I need to go on line for the recovery software, I can D/L it to this computer but the computer I am speaking of is not set up to go on line will that make a difference.

The disc used was checked for content prior to transfer of data to the notebook.
To the best of my knowledge, . .

Jp

Edited by Jove, 21 May 2007 - 11:25 AM.

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

#4 Commander Gman

Commander Gman

• Members
  • 1,214 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2007 - 07:35 PM

but I was under the impression that one could somehow access the
system manually to see what has been deleted or otherwise lost.

Me too... Although its complex and i also do not posses the knowledge of it
Thats when the Recovery Softwares kick-in :thumbsup:

If I need to go on line for the recovery software, I can D/L it to this computer but the computer I am speaking of is not set up to go on line will that make a difference.

so you mean to say,that computer with this issue can't go in the internet?

Could be hard for you,but this is my only possible thinking...

If so,why not download it from another computer that can go online then burn the setup to a CD then
put the CD to your laptop then install :flowers:

Motherboard: MSI P35 Neo-F (Socket 775 LGA) Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.40 Ghz Kentsfield Chipset: Intel P35 Graphics Card: Nvidia Geforce GT 440 Memory: 2x 2GB DDR2 800 RAM Storage: 1x IDE 80GB, 1x SATA II 500 GB, 1x External 500GB HD Power Supply: 600W Power supply Monitor: Dual screen set-up Casing: Mini-ATX Fan(s): 1x 80mm silent fan OS: Windows XP SP3

#5 Commander Gman

Commander Gman

• Members
  • 1,214 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2007 - 07:42 PM

Oh and one more thing...
Over time the deleted/lost files will pass out in your hard disk
If so,you have to be quick enough before the quality gets reduced to 0% (which is deleted permanently)
from the perfect condition to poor condition

I noticed this when i was testing a recovery software checking the condition of the files
If the files are old (about more than 2 days) the condition may be more likely reduced

#6 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2007 - 08:53 PM

Thanks for trying CG,

Yeah I'm sunk on this one, I went to recuva, it don't look to promising,

The computer I am using had those files then I did a full restore after a trojan episode, so I guess the drive is wiped, . . this shouldn't have happened, I can't believe the disc (CD) I had the back ups on you can not delete them but they are just not there ? period. :thumbsup:

Thanks again.

Jove

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

#7 Commander Gman

Commander Gman

• Members
  • 1,214 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2007 - 09:01 PM

Some Additional Info:

I had the back ups on you can not delete them

It is because the CD you have just burnt is already protected
If it is protected,you can't delete files or overwrite,edit,etc.
and it is permanent

But if you want to burn unprotected,you will have to try packet writing softwares like InCD :trumpet:
In this way,you may now delete files,edit,etc. and can recycle the CD

And Also,once you do delete a file in a disc,your total storage capacity does not go back
so be wise on what you burn :thumbsup:

You're always welcome glad i can help,Jove
-CG :flowers:

#8 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2007 - 09:31 PM

I don't think were on the same page, sorry if I have confused you in some way as I appreciate your
efforts.

What I am saying is yeah, . . I had backed up the files onto the disc, as a matter of fact I had files on (2) disc, so that I could do the systems restore, these files were put on the disc at two different times weeks apart but the files were similar, many are missing and I am sure they were there, when I down loaded to my notebook and back on my PC after the restore some files are not there ?

There not on the CD's nor are they in either computer !

These CD's you can download a file such as word pad to documents and yes, you can work with it save the changes and d/l it back to the CD and replace the previous file with the same name.

Jove

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

#9 Commander Gman

Commander Gman

• Members
  • 1,214 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2007 - 09:39 PM

These CD's you can download a file such as word pad to documents and yes, you can work with it save the changes and d/l it back to the CD and replace the previous file with the same name.

rewritable cds i assume?

There not on the CD's nor are they in either computer !

But not all of them are missing,only some of them?

Also,what are these files you're trying to access?
they could need a specific program in order for detection
it depends on the file's type

Edited by Commander Gman, 21 May 2007 - 09:43 PM.

#10 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2007 - 09:54 PM

CG,

Maxwell CD-R

No Not all the files were missing, A folder with files is not on the CDs

Correction ! !

Best of my knowledge the previous, earlier CD was posted to the documents, on the notebook,

I emptied the My Document file and sent them to the briefcase, there is some stuff about draging files,
I looked into the brief case all looked OK, but when I went to look for my password note pad, it was not there.

I'm sorry, The files are on the CD, but I am missing that notepad, and the most of the files are missing in the folder that is in the brief case.

I am glad you checked, I did not mean to mis inform you, I was just a little dazed when I went to the briefcase and found that the folder was practically empty, and assumed that it was the CD, anyway no password note pad.

Something went wrong using the W98 notebook Briefcase, send files to.

Hey thanks I feel a lttle better.

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

#11 Commander Gman

Commander Gman

• Members
  • 1,214 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2007 - 10:03 PM

there is some stuff about draging files

well can you rephrase what you've said?

but when I went to look for my password note pad, it was not there.

2 things i can only think of....
1.)Infection (Virus may have deleted it recently you may have just not noticed)
2.)You may have not selected the notepad and was left there
Did you then delete all of the contents of My Documents?

Edited by Commander Gman, 21 May 2007 - 10:28 PM.

#12 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2007 - 10:31 PM

CG,
Well, I'll tell you, first I had this Trojan infection and I tried to turn back the computer using systems restore and caused the infection to greatly multiply, . . after spending some time trying to clean it out unsucessfuly, I decided to do a CD full restore, that worked, . . I have AOL, and about a week before this all happened I went to AOL a found they had a protection that would save the mail I had saved to my computer file that they use, it was not available to me, and at that very time I believe, AOL was discontinuing that protective service, . . then the following weeks, with the Trojan fiasco, I really did not remember that mail file that is actually accessed through AOL, after the restore it was gone, because it is saved on my computer,

Oh thank you AOL, of course it's invisible on the C: drive somewhere, . .

then the next thing that happened was my MS works was gone and did not get restored, do to some Compaq computers will stock it at the factory, . . but it wasn't on the restore disc, I been going round and round with them, and they keep telling me that I need to reinstall it by doing a full restore, . . sorry I already did that !

Now I have a couple of files that were word processors(MSworks), can not be opened, when I open them, I get the geek greek, those little boxes of code, then I had this doc file folder go missing from the briefcase incident, . . so by now I guess I got a little turned around,

I had the passwords usually sent from the web sites where they are used, in AOL mail in the the AOL PC file and on the Note Pad in my doc., , I really can not find it, and assumed a lot of other stuff happened.

I need to step back and take an inventory, I guess I got a little excited, unfortunately it's my nature.

On top of all this I need a firewall and some security features spyware and virus protection and am getting notification about RAM and need an upgrade, . .

I think computers are worse that boats, . . if you own one and use it for pleasure or work you have got a job on your hands, if you don't have the bucks !

Hey remeber Spam, WoW !!

I think your right about what I may have done, . . I would just love to have a look at that HDD, and

see those deleted files that disappeared out of the Recycle bin when I was cleaning up the computer

and d/L to the briefcase.

OK, Commander Gman, Hang in there and thanks again !

Jove

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

#13 Commander Gman

Commander Gman

• Members
  • 1,214 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2007 - 11:00 PM

One last final solution
Really running out of ideas :thumbsup:

refined search in google:
Recover file in disk
Recover file in cds

Im also working on the search
currently looking for a tool that can possibly recover files in a cd
i'll let you know if i have done progress :flowers:

Edited by Commander Gman, 21 May 2007 - 11:05 PM.

#14 Commander Gman

Commander Gman

• Members
  • 1,214 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2007 - 11:18 PM

Try IsoBuster
it says it can recover data from disks

#15 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2007 - 11:31 PM

CG,

there is some stuff about draging files

well can you rephrase what you've said?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From W98 Note Book Briefcase;

My Briefcase

This folder contains files you want on at a different
computer.

Drag the files you want into this folder, and then transfer
the folder to your laptop computer or a floppy disc.
When you return, copy the Briefcse folder you took with you
to your Window Desktop.

To synchronize both copie of each click Update All

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

but when I went to look for my password note pad, it was not there.

2 things i can only think of....
1.)Infection (Virus may have deleted it recently you may have just not noticed)
2.)You may have not selected the notepad and was left there
Did you then delete all of the contents of My Documents?

I moved all the files out of the doc file to the brief case, then I deleted all the files in docs before I d/l the CD files from my PC, to back up files prior to the Full Restore.

JP

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users