Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable To Delete Or Remove Downloaded Picture

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 solaris32

solaris32

• Members
  • 372 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 PM

Posted 20 May 2007 - 03:00 PM

I downloaded a snapfire image off a file sharing program (I know it's risky, and it looks like I'm paying) and I cannot move it to the trashcan, right-clicking does not give me the option to delete, cannot select for custom deleting with ccleaner, cannot move to spybot s&d shredder. It's just sitting, while I'm unable to do anything about it. I am running virus scans; hopefully they will detect it. If not, please tell me what to do and how to stop this problem in the future, because it can come from many sources, not just file sharing programs. Thank you.

Spybot s&d just finished and it didn't detect anything with it being most up to date with downloads and neither did ad aware se. It may not be a virus, and was probably made to just be an annoyance.

Edited by solaris32, 20 May 2007 - 03:29 PM.

When I'm asking for help, please explain, in detail, every step. Thank you :).
I have nightmares about computer glitches and bugs.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mz30

mz30

• Members
  • 828 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:38 AM

Posted 20 May 2007 - 03:04 PM

hi solaris
have you tryed starting in safemode logging on as adminstrator and deleting it that way?
god my head hurts.
if you don't ask ,you don't know

Posted Image

#3 solaris32

solaris32
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 372 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2007 - 03:06 PM

No, not yet. Was hoping I wouldn't have to. Guess I will here real soon.

#4 mz30

mz30

• Members
  • 828 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2007 - 03:11 PM

hope it works for you ,i also use p2p for downloads and have had my fair share of infections from them but i have a method now that sort of put a stop to it.what p2p programs do you use?
god my head hurts.

Posted Image

#5 solaris32

solaris32
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 372 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2007 - 03:13 PM

Just Limewire. Ad aware se didn't find anything. Gonna restart and see if I can delete in safe mode, but I doubt because right clicking does not give the option to delete. I don't think it's a virus, prob just made to annoy people. Be back soon.

#6 mz30

mz30

• Members
  • 828 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2007 - 03:16 PM

limewire pro ?
god my head hurts.

Posted Image

#7 solaris32

solaris32
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 372 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2007 - 03:27 PM

yes pro. Safemode yielded the same negative results. I can't delete it :thumbsup:. Someone please help!

#8 mz30

mz30

• Members
  • 828 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2007 - 03:31 PM

is the picture in a file in your shared folder ?
if so minimize your shared folder to half screen and try to drag it to your recycle bin(hold left clck and move over bin)
god my head hurts.

Posted Image

#9 solaris32

solaris32
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 372 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2007 - 03:34 PM

It's on my desktop. All I can do is merely move it's position. I can't place it in any folders, and then say, try to delete the folder.

Edited by solaris32, 20 May 2007 - 03:35 PM.

#10 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 AM

Posted 20 May 2007 - 04:08 PM

Try Unlocker.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#11 solaris32

solaris32
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 372 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2007 - 04:14 PM

Thank you, however, when I right click, the unlocker option is not present. When I attempt to move the snapfire picture to anywhere other than the desktop, it merely it does nothing. Nothing happens, it just doesn't move.

So currently, I can do nothing about this snapfire picture I downloaded and it's bugging the heck out of me.

Edited by solaris32, 20 May 2007 - 04:16 PM.

#12 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2007 - 06:04 PM

I had a file like that at one time, and was only able to remove it with Unlocker, but it was in a round-about way.
It wasn't too hard for me to do, because all of my downloads go into a special folder, for AV scanning, so the folder didn't contain much.
It will be a little more involved in your case, but I'll explain the process, in case you want to try it.

Go to C:\Documents and Settings\your username\
Create a folder, and call it Desktop1.
Move all of your shortcuts/files from your Desktop folder, into the Desktop1 folder, leaving only the bad file.
Use Unlocker to delete the Desktop folder, not the contents, but the whole folder.
Once it's gone, rename Desktop1 to Desktop.

Unlocker might not be able to remove that file, but it should be able to remove the folder containing it.

In the future, I suggest you create a special folder for downloads, then once they are scanned, move them to a permanent location.
That way, if you have this problem again, it won't be a hassle to just delete the whole folder, using Unlocker, then re-create it.

If that doesn't work, the only other thing I can think of to try, is this MS article:
How To Take Ownership of a File or Folder in Windows XP

Edited by tg1911, 20 May 2007 - 06:06 PM.

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

#13 solaris32

solaris32
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 372 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2007 - 04:53 AM

That didn't work, and now all my files and stuff is in a folder called desktop and not actually on my desktop and I can't send it to the visual desktop because it says the destination path is the same. When I deleted the old desktop with the picture in it, it merely deleted the folder and the bad picture is still staring at me from my desktop. I can't claim ownership or whatever because when I right click, properties is not there, even in safe mode.

Edited by solaris32, 21 May 2007 - 04:57 AM.

#14 solaris32

solaris32
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 372 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2007 - 05:07 AM

I take that back, it did work! When I used one of the icons in the desktop folder, it reset and put them all back on the visual desktop and I can find no trace of that picture! Thanks tq, bleeping computer rules! And thanks mz for posting and trying to help, I appreciate it.

I also read that another way to delete things is try to put a file with same name as the bad program in the same folder. It should ask you if you want to replace the file and tell it yes. I was unable to test it with the bad picture because deleting the desktop folder did the job, but the theory sounds good. I also hear this method works well with getting rid of programs that have permission issues.

ps. sorry about multi-posting.

Edited by solaris32, 21 May 2007 - 06:01 AM.

#15 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2007 - 11:12 AM

You're welcome, solaris32.
Glad to hear, you were finally able to get rid of that bad file.

When you said, "I used one of the icons in the desktop folder, ...", you just double clicked one of the icons, and it reset your desktop?
Haven't used this technique on the Desktop folder before, and I want to get the exact procedure down, in case someone else runs into this problem.

Never thought of replacing the bad file, with a file of the same name.
Sounds like it could work.
Worse that could happen, is that it would tell you it couldn't do it.
Maybe, you can try it on your next, bad file download. :thumbsup:

Edited by tg1911, 21 May 2007 - 11:13 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users