Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Tweaking Norton Internet Security 2006

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Hal06

Hal06

• Members
  • 920 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 PM

Posted 20 May 2007 - 02:48 PM

I have used Norton products for years. They provide good protection in my experience. However, I have always known that Norton Internet Security takes a lot of space and slows the computer - especially at startup. However, I have always felt safe with Norton since I am not an expert by any means in computer protection. Short of removing NIS 2006 and going with the stand alone approach for different types of protection, can I tweak my existing NIS to improve performance?

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Jesse Bassett

Jesse Bassett

• Members
  • 418 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 AM

Posted 20 May 2007 - 02:55 PM

Not to my knowledge. Having used Norton for many years as well, I finally saw the light and switched to Avast. But if your not ready to switch to the freeware replacements, then your pretty much stuck. The only small adjustment that can be made is to not have Norton boot up when your PC does. That only makes your PC start faster. Take it from me though.... my mom had NIS 2007 on her PC for a year. It used to take 10 minutes (we timed it), for her XP Pro computer to start. Now with her using AVG Free, it takes only 2 minutes.

Good luck!
Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 l McAfee Total Protection l Super AntiSpyware Free Edition l AdAware SE Personal l Spyware Blaster l Spyware Guard l Safe Eyes 2007

#3 Hal06

Hal06
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 920 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2007 - 03:11 PM

Not to my knowledge. Having used Norton for many years as well, I finally saw the light and switched to Avast. But if your not ready to switch to the freeware replacements, then your pretty much stuck. The only small adjustment that can be made is to not have Norton boot up when your PC does. That only makes your PC start faster. Take it from me though.... my mom had NIS 2007 on her PC for a year. It used to take 10 minutes (we timed it), for her XP Pro computer to start. Now with her using AVG Free, it takes only 2 minutes.

Good luck!

Thanks. Does AVAST protect everything that NIS does?

#4 mz30

mz30

• Members
  • 828 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 PM

Posted 20 May 2007 - 03:15 PM

i too used norton for many years and as jesse said i also seen the light,unlike jesse i use avg free and my computer boots in less than a minute avast and avg are great replacements for norton and since i swapped to avg i have never had a problem. :thumbsup:
god my head hurts.
if you don't ask ,you don't know

Posted Image

#5 Jesse Bassett

Jesse Bassett

• Members
  • 418 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2007 - 03:50 PM

No. You would need to use Avast or AVG (both are free antivirus products) alongside a free firewall. Here is my lineup of security programs:

- AVG Free (I do not use Avast.... I tried to edit my post, but the doggon thing wouldn't let me)

-AVG AntiSpyware Free

- Zone Alarm Free

These three products will definately protect you 10x more than Norton ever could. Let us know what you decide and what works best ok?
Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 l McAfee Total Protection l Super AntiSpyware Free Edition l AdAware SE Personal l Spyware Blaster l Spyware Guard l Safe Eyes 2007

#6 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2007 - 04:33 PM

Don't forget AVG's free Anti-Rootkit program to go with those other AVG free products.

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#7 Hal06

Hal06
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 920 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2007 - 04:47 PM

Why is it that NIS 2006 slows down one's computer to such an extent, yet these other programs don't? Are they not as powerful or not as effective?

#8 Jesse Bassett

Jesse Bassett

• Members
  • 418 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2007 - 04:56 PM

Why is it that NIS 2006 slows down one's computer to such an extent, yet these other programs don't? Are they not as powerful or not as effective?

The trick is the other programs don't use as much system resources as the major internet security suite providers do. Norton uses 90% of your system resources at different times. The other programs are more powerful and effective than Norton, as we've said.

#9 JohnWho

JohnWho

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2007 - 04:58 PM

It actually has nothing to do with either how "powerful" or effective the program is. The slowdown is directly related to how much of the systems resources are used by the program. Norton's package isn't the only one that uses enough that user's notice a "sluggishness" in their system. Sometimes, adding more RAM resolves the issue somewhat.

Symantec/Norton's new security suite - Norton 360 is supposedly much lighter on resources than the previous suite.

#10 JohnWho

JohnWho

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2007 - 05:03 PM

Oh, I wasn't recommending Norton 360, just pointing out that the new Norton product is obviously re-vamped to use less of a system's resources.

#11 Jesse Bassett

Jesse Bassett

• Members
  • 418 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2007 - 02:01 PM

So what did you decide Hal06?

#12 Hal06

Hal06
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 920 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2007 - 03:12 PM

Decide? I've decided not to think about it until the long weekend! From what I've read uninstalling NIS is a pain.

#13 Jesse Bassett

Jesse Bassett

• Members
  • 418 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2007 - 04:45 PM

There is a program called the Norton Removal tool. If you google SYMNRT, you will see it. It does the pain of removing Norton for you.

#14 Hal06

Hal06
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 920 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2007 - 05:39 PM

There is a program called the Norton Removal tool. If you google SYMNRT, you will see it. It does the pain of removing Norton for you.

Norton is so unpopular that there it has its own removal program? Yikes. That says a lot!

#15 JohnWho

JohnWho

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2007 - 05:42 PM

Norton is so unpopular that there it has its own removal program? Yikes. That says a lot!

Well,

to be fair,

Norton's removal tool is a Norton product.

:thumbsup:

Anyway, you can get it h e r e.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users