Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Norton Antivirus Won't Let Me Delete My Quarantined Items

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 j0rd4n

j0rd4n

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:33 AM

Posted 20 May 2007 - 01:56 PM

I just became infected with a Trojan on my Mac and Norton Antivirus was able to quarantine them. But when I go to look at the quarantined items window of Norton, it won't let me delete the cache files. What should I do?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:33 PM

Posted 20 May 2007 - 02:52 PM

Posted Image to BC

Have you tried to do it in Safe Mode?

#3 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,302 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:33 AM

Posted 20 May 2007 - 04:32 PM

You are kidding, right? Mac as in Apple Macintosh? They don't get infected!! Gotta send this to Myth Busters.

There is a forum here for Mac users. You might want to post there.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#4 j0rd4n

j0rd4n
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2007 - 07:19 PM

Posted Image to BC

Have you tried to do it in Safe Mode?

Hmm, I'm still pretty new with Mac. How would you put it into Safe Mode?

#5 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,302 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:33 AM

Posted 20 May 2007 - 07:39 PM

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=107393

Above link has instructions for Mac Safe Mode.

The link below has some info on repairing the quarantine file. It might be simpler to follow step 4.
Actually, leaving the files in quarantine should cause no problem. Uninstalling Norton can be. I would suggest if you are having no other problem with Norton to leave it as is. Your Call.
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nav.n...06?OpenDocument

Edited by buddy215, 20 May 2007 - 07:54 PM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#6 j0rd4n

j0rd4n
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2007 - 08:31 PM

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=107393

Above link has instructions for Mac Safe Mode.

The link below has some info on repairing the quarantine file. It might be simpler to follow step 4.
Actually, leaving the files in quarantine should cause no problem. Uninstalling Norton can be. I would suggest if you are having no other problem with Norton to leave it as is. Your Call.
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nav.n...06?OpenDocument

Okay, thanks a bunch man. I'll probably just leave them there for a little bit and see if Norton will let me delete them that way. If it doesn't though, I'll probably do with what you just provided me. I know it's not much of a big deal to just leave them quarantined there, but I'm stupid and just feel paranoid with any kind of viruses or trojans on my comp, haha.

Thanks again though for your help. It's much appreciated.

EDIT: The second link is for a Windows OS. Will that still work for a Mac?

Edited by j0rd4n, 20 May 2007 - 10:38 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users